Thursday, January 05, 2012

Thursday

I'm trying to sneak in a few lines here at the office before I head out to lunch and a 1300hrs appointment.  Shockingly nice day here today...50's and sunny!

The report on the laptop is "water damage".  Dell has to replace the operating innards.  Not sure where the water came from, but the condensation on the screen had lead me to that conclusion as well.  Our IT vendor says that it is covered under their installation insurance so at least I'm not out-of-pocket any dinero.  Inconvenience remains.  I hope that they can get it back to me for the weekend.

Word from 3 is that the Friday venue for the pre-wedding-day party has been secured.  Details to follow.

I'm thrilled that the Iowa Caucuses are over.  Shakespeare had it right:  Much Ado About Nothing.  I suppose that the process has to start somewhere.  Not sure if Iowa is any better or worse as that starting point.  At least a couple of the candidates are now toast.

One of our other software providers has thrown out a fee of $100 per box to scan the files in the storage boxes in our basement.  Those boxes are what we call "banker boxes".  Legal paper size, measuring approximated 20 inches wide by 30 inches long and 14 inches high.  We have between 300 and 400 downstairs in storage.  Do the math.  What a bargain.

I'm sure that we could get this done with interns at a lower cost, but would we ruin our scanner by working it non-stop for two months?  On the other hand, the storage of paper is a mess.  And can we just convert by attrition as we use less paper in the future and destroy the older stuff downstairs as we get to the end of the normal 10 year life cycle of files? 

I'm thinking that it will be nice enough tonight to do a BBQ on Maplecrest.  Now that's an idea that doesn't hit the headlines in January very often!

Thanks for checking in.

BCOT

1 comment:

camperkev said...

I think that's a pretty good deal for scanning. You would have to work a whole lot harder with interns doing the job.