Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday

I guess that it's fair to say that Thanksgiving Week is officially underway.  We could tell that the pace was a little more intense Thursday and Friday as the traffic volume on the arterial streets stepped up to "holiday" levels.  Lots of anxious drivers out there.  And way too many of them on the phone.

I knew that I had been a little neglectful of the blog, but I hadn't realized that it had been this long.  It seems like the Twitter communications and 3's recent entries to The Horanies have kept the information flow going which made my absence here less obvious.  I'll do better this week.

Actually, there was some wine involved in the quiet here as well.  Cal's party on Wednesday night was the start.  Then there was a bit of an impromptu gathering after my run with The Winniferous on Thursday (which made a measurable dent in the cache I had prepared for FFF).  Spin Friday afternoon followed by Happy Hour with 2.  And a desperate call last night from friends for a fourth to fill out the table at a Red Crow dinner.  Social obligations are heck!

I'm giving 2 the nod as Daughter of the Day.  This is her dress for the Festival of the Trees party on Friday night.  Pretty nice, eh?

My appearance in The Horanies as Dad of the Day did not go un-noticed.  I've suggested to 3 that future pics on 4000 Days may have slightly wider range on the permissability meter.

So rather than note the scores that didn't satisfy yesterday, how 'bout the Irish?  Okay, so Army isn't exactly Alabama, but ND has trouble with the Little Sisters of the Poor!!  I'm taking the win.  I'm guessing that it was a pretty festive evening at Yankee Stadium.  And they even broke out the green jersey's for the game.

And speaking of playing football in a baseball park did you catch the fact that the Northwestern - Illinois game at Wrigley Field had the offenses run only one way because they feared for safety on the end that was against the brick, outfield wall?  And they came up with that on Friday after the game had been on the books for how long?  Literally, who's on first?

One of the factoids that came out of the ND-Army stories was that it had been sooo looonnng since the teams had last met in Yankee Stadium.  41 years.  1969.  Funny, 41 years does sound like a long time.  Except that, I was at ND in 1969!!!  (Not that I was at that game, but the pics that they week showing yesterday were of the team members like Joe Theismann who were my classmates.)

What else was going on in 1969?  Here's a partial list:

1.  Viet Nam.
2.  Woodstock!
3.  Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.
4.  Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory in Super Bowl III.  And won.
5.  Brad Pitt was 6, Julia Roberts 2, George Clooney 8, and Matt Damon was a gleam in his dad's eye.
6.  Richard Nixon became President!
7.  Chappaquiddick.
8.  Dow Jones average 800.
9.  Abbey Road album by The Beatles.
10. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

You get the idea.  There's a delicate balance of when 41 years is a long time and when 41 years is just a matter of time on Wiki.  Whatever.

Less than a hundred hours to The Trot.  My last training run will be tomorrow night with The W.  A couple of spin classes, and then it will be time to see whether in hour will be enough time to cover the five miles.

Oh.  You may have seen this on 2's Facebook.  I decided to do a small, private fund raiser for The Trot.  If you're so moved, great.  I don't need to see the check or electronic transfer.  Just let 2 or me know.  Next year, I may try to get a little more organized.  Or not.  But I'll definitely be running, and a cancer effort will be part of the deal.

Have a great week.  Just hours now for FFF.  I'm excited!

BCOT


1 comment:

1 said...

1.1 & I will both donate. Get your checkbook out!!