Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Tuesday

Just a few lines tonight to keep the thread open.

I had no better than so-so sleep last night with The Winniferous in the house.  Literally. When the time came to turn out the lights, she got real anxious, started growling, and then barking.  Which woke up a couple of other dogs in the neighborhood.  I theorized that she was experiencing a dog's case of Sundowner's Syndrome.  I first heard of Sundowner's when I was taking care of Margaret in those later years.

The long and the short of Sundowner's is that the elderly, particularly those with some dementia, get confused and agitated late in the day.  Being in strange places and mixed-up body rhythms probably contribute to the condition.  I'm not sure if there is a medical analysis on this or not.  And I'm not saying that Winnie has mental problems.  But her being in unfamiliar surroundings definitely had her a bit off kilter.

The track meet tonight was enjoyable, but hard on my back.  I stood for the whole three hours.  As track meets go, if was reasonably efficient.  Just four schools, just boys, and few events had more than a couple of races.  No pre-lims leading to finals.  The biggest problem I had was my need to lift my glasses to read the line-up sheets as the runners checked in.  And the tracksters were easy to work with.  Just a couple occurences of, "Oops, when's my race?"  I'll probably help out again at future meets.

I have no problem with Duke and UConn winning their titles.  I actually thought that the Butler kid had made the baseline, fall-away jumper.  I said, "Jimmy Chitwood lives" as the shot went up.  That would have made that kid a basketball  icon for the rest of his life.  The Duke and UConn teams are made up of players, not "I'm the star" individuals.  I've never been a big fan of Coach K, but his teams compete.  (And 3 needed the Dukies to ring the bell to collect the cash!).

Could care less about Tiger's news conference.

Still lots to do at the office.  I'll be glad when we get past the 15th.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

so where's 'W' sleeping tonight?

2 said...

Winnie does not have mental problems. You are just not as awesome as her mom.