Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thursday

Can't say that Earth Day has inspired me to "green up".  I don't mind recycling paper, glass, aluminum/tin, and plastic items.  That just makes sense.  I'll even take my own bags to the grocery on occasion.  But I'm a bit hooked on bottled water, and I don't lose a lot of sleep over the melting (?) icepack.  I'm guessing that the waste from one of the manure pits at one of the thousands of commercial feeder cattle operations creates a bigger challenge than the environmental damage I can wreak with my Dasani footprint.

Enjoyed 3's second recent contribution to the blogshere this week.  I'm guessing that she and 4 could provide a regular stream of entertainment if they could just make the commitment to write. 

One of the discouraging elements of blogging is that it can be a bit difficult to find some original thoughts on a daily basis, and we all know that just a drone about what you're doing loses the audience quickly.  And you often struggle with the idea that what might be appealing to your readers needs to be better than whatever it is that you have come up with that day. On that last point, my philosophy is, "This what I've got today. That's what you're getting."

The Top Ten lists, the interviews, and the stories from the farm are all efforts to keep some ideas flowing.  Obviously, some days (and some ideas) work better than others.  Writer's Block is real.

Shifting gears...

Spending my weekday evening rides on the bike path exposes me to the various levels of consciousness (or lack thereof) and me-isms that have always bugged me regarding bike path protocols.  I generally exclude the elderly and the under (say) 8-year olds from my criticisms.  My expectations on the thought processes of these two groups are not high.  I'm glad to see them using the path.  But I find examples almost daily of folks who should know better essentially elevating their own priority above all other users. 

I'm thinking that cyclists are the worst offenders.  At 5:30 in the evening when the path is probably at it's highest usage, you get speed freaks weaving in and out of traffic calling out, "Coming through" and expecting the seas to part.  And then you have inexperienced adult riders not slowing down, and expecting on-coming walkers to step off the path when the cyclists have crossed the center line to pass other walkers.  The speed freaks are thoughtless jerks.  The inexperienced casual riders are just ignorant.  Whatever.

Bit the bullet Tuesday and put new tires on the Buick.  I replaced the original tires that had 47,000 miles on the tread.  My right front had had a slow leak that required frequent input of air.  And the sensors on all of the tires routinely registered on the dash display, "Check blankety-blank's air pressure".  I was tired of the warnings, and had previously committed to myself that I would be swapping out the tires this Summer.  Needing to put in air in the right front again on Monday night tipped the scales to do the deed now.

Of course, the Buick has 18 inch wheels, an uncommon size.  Which, of course translates to more expensive tires.  While you can usually get a decent 15 or 16 inch diameter tire for $50-75, these 18 inchers came in at a cool $200.  Suite.  I initially thought I'd get just the two fronts replaced, but that made little sense.  So do the math.  Including an oil change, shop supplies (?) and taxes...$1,000.  Double suite.

The absolute best part of the experience was that when I jumped in the car Wednesday afternoon after work and fired 'er up, I got the, "Check Right Front Air Pressure" warning on the dash.  Triple suite.  Life is just too good.

So, in keeping with my earlier comment, that's all I've got for today.  Read it and weep.

BCOT

No comments: