Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday

Another day with Mickey. This representation, just outside the conference facility at the Contemporary Resort. Really a beautiful day down here. After lunch, almost too hot to sit in the direct sun.

To get to an 0700 local "early-riser"s" session, I was driving in the dark and the fog. With no reference points, I was entirely dependent on the road signs, and they seemed to take me on a very circuitous route to the hotel. I remain amazed/impressed with the sheer size of Walt Disney World. And the turn-offs, clover-leafs and ramps seem very sweeping and wide. Whatever. Walt had it figured out. Bring your credit card (with no limits).

(Watching Super Tuesday basketball on ESPN tonight, Purdue at Illinois, as I write this. Erin is in the house in Champagne. Suite.)

The key-note presentation at the program this morning by David Walker was worth the price of admission. I took the opportunity to chat him up for a few minutes before he took the stage to thank him for making the trip to our meeting. He's a high energy, but very humble guy. One in that small group of folks whom I would walk across the street to greet. He said that he had been on Jon Stewart's show last night, as was scheduled for Glen Beck's show later today. (What a contrast! Like I said, he's politically agnostic.) He's got a new book out. More on that in a future entry.

This conference went "green" by not printing a two pound book with all of the presentations for all attendees. Most sessions were "break-outs" where you chose one of three options. They did have a "print station" with 5-6 high-speed printers where you could go and print the outlines for the sessions that mattered to you. I'm sure that the total printed pages was less than that for full books for everyone, but I think that they need to go to the next step which would be down-loadable outlines only. (One other conference last year had the book on disk.)

The Massachusetts senatorial election today will give the political wags something to spin for a few days. I have said for quite some time that the citizens will eventually get it right. The populous doesn't take kindly to being used or mislead. Not sure that that is what happened in the Bay State, but all of the candidates in this year's elections should take pause and make sure that they understand their electorate (except maybe Chicago).

Space Mountain and the Castle from the Magic Kingdom are both visible from the conference center. So are the three million kids visiting the complex.

Now need to hit the hay and pack as I have an oh-dark-hundred wake-up call so that I can get to another 0700 "early-riser" presentation in the AM. I'll leave at the mid-morning break for my noon flight back to the Midwest. Hope the forecasted ice-storm doesn't materialize.

More from the road tomorrow.

BCOT

No comments: