Saturday, January 02, 2010

Saturday

The Deep Freeze has set in for a few days. Bitter cold this AM, and it never really warmed up much during the day. It looks like it may not get much better in these days before Scottsdale.
.
Spin class this morning was an hour and a half. A very solid challenge. And then I had another hour with my personal trainer. The gym was pretty busy with New Year's resolution folks.
.
A major accomplishment today was moving Margret from my garage over to SRH's extra spot so that I could get the Taurus under cover. I hadn't fired Margret up for several weeks, so I figured it was 50-50 to get her going. But after a little initial resistance, she caught on and it was an uneventful trip to her Winter home. See you in March, baby!
.
I did a little Winnie sitting this afternoon. What does that say about the excitement in my life? She's pretty used to the routine at my place and did her business outside like a big girl. She seems to like the outdoors. I'm wondering how her breed is generally regarded for cold weather.
.
I have the Iowa-Minnesota bball game on as I write this entry. Not only are the Hawks down big early, there's nobody in the stands. I said that the over-under for their conference win total was five, but that makes the under a heavy bet.
.
My pal Pete left today for the Orange Bowl. My pal Roy left this AM (flying private) for a few days at his condo in Vero Beach before our Scottsdale trip. Makes a guy feel a little cold and lonely. It will be interesting to see how many Iowa fans turn up in Miami. The report I saw had 45K in Tempe for the 'Clones' Insight.com Bowl at 74K capacity Sun Devil Stadium. Which seems like an over-flow crowd compared to some of the near-empty houses at several of those earlier no-name bowl games.
.
The one thing that has been notable in these bowl games is that coaches seem more inclined to take chances to get the W rather than playing it safe for a tie or to continue an overtime. The Idaho guy went for a two point conversion and the win (and was successful) with just a couple of seconds to go in the game rather than kicking the PAT and going to OT. The Northwestern guy tried a trick play and lost rather than test his second string kicker in OT. And lots of plays deep in the playbook come up for air throughout the games. It makes things more interesting.
.
All for tonight. I'm scheduled for SB's in the AM. I'm sure that I'll be enlightened.
.
BCOT

No comments: