Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sunday

I'm guessing that we all have such busy lives that 4000 Days can't match the real world.

This has been a picture perfect mid-Summer day. A little breezy,but not much humidity. Great day to finish the PGA tournament here this week, the John Deere Classic. While they didn't get many of the big names on the tour, the area really supports the tournament, so the crowds have been good regardless of the leaderboard. My pal Pete and I checked out the post-golf party tent last night. We were home by 9:30, which speaks either for the lack of sizzle there or the reality of our ages.

The big news here this week has been 2's entry into the housing market. She has had her offer on a nice place in eastern Davenport accepted by the seller. Closing is scheduled for July 30th. We are all excited for her. Now she'll have the enjoyment of dealing with all of the thrills of home ownership: plumbing, snow shoveling, carpenter ants, and crab grass among other realities.

Since we leave for Tahoe early on the 1st, she won't have much time to get moved in beforehand. But once we get back, she'll be full time getting herself organized in her new digs. I'll let her file her own report on the event.

Pete and I have been riding quite a bit together. The way I see it, I'm running out of Mt. Rose training days. Pete is a stronger rider, and I use his wide body for drafting. I definitely feel stronger than I have been, probably since my last assault at Tahoe. 50+ this AM on my own for breakfast in DeWitt. Great ride.

I have a golf outing one day this week, so I went over to Duck Creek this afternoon to checkout the status of my game. It sucked. I joined a twosome at the first tee, but pealed away after five holes. The guys were jerks. One of them got into a shouting match with a dad behind us when his high school age son hit too soon before we had cleared the fifth green. The confrontation was totally uncalled for, as my two partners were playing like it was the US Open. And slow besides. (I was planning on playing only 13 holes anyway to save my back for the outing. I played three random holes on the way in, and called it a day.)

This is why public courses get old real quick. Say what you want about the cost of country club membership, but if you're a golfer, you don't want to deal with the all-comers at the muni course.

I need to get to the store to get ready for a little BBQ with 2. I'll add more later.

BCOT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were Pete, I would not love your mention of my wide body good for drafting.

James and I did a ride up Lake Michigan almost to Evanston today. You would have hated it. A headwind both ways paired with extremely heavy traffic on the path combined to make a slow and aggravating ride. Luckily we stopped on the way home to get burritos in Lincoln Park and good spirits were restored.

I'm very much looking forward to Tahoe. Any update on the shirts?

Anonymous said...

No update. No one had any useful feed back. It will be a chore for me to do this week.. I'll have to work on my mind reading skills so you don't all go 'why did you pick this' when we distribute them.

Anonymous said...

No update. No one had any useful feed back. It will be a chore for me to do this week.. I'll have to work on my mind reading skills so you don't all go 'why did you pick this' when we distribute them.