Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday

I am officially dubbing this "Tahoe Week". As I write this, I calculate "wheels up" in 82 hours. Not that I am counting or anything.

I acknowledge 2's semi-compliment from yesterday's entry. But the comparative is a very low standard. As I said, the guy is a hack.

I took tonight off from training. I generally don't like riding more than three consecutive days, particularly after longer weekend rides. I figure I'll get the DCC route in three more times before take-off.

The former ND football player, Jeff Smardzija, who signed the big baseball contract with the Cubs two or three years ago, and whom my friend/client in DM wanted me to see last week in a game over there, got the save with the big league club yesterday. Heady stuff. It looks like he may have a future if he can stay healthy. His heater has late movement, and he showed a nasty splitter.

Cycling is one of those sports that has an annual world stage in the Tour de France, and annual world championships, so what is the value of the Olympics to a rider? Arguably, most of the guys who show up on 8-8-08 will either be second stringers, or out of gas from three weeks of chasing Carlos Sastre.

Speaking of cycling, a friend who races age-group stuff in the region just bought a set of wheels for his race bike at, get this, a little over $1000 per wheel! And speaking of cycling economics, I was in the bike shop this afternoon considering an upgrade to my bike computer (they make them with wireless technology now), and managed to easily say "no" to a GPS model that was priced at $695.

For the record, 4 gets a GPS for Hoopdrm before anybody else in the fam (in this area code) gets that service.

Congrats to 2 for making the number she needed on her GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). She had to put in some preparation time, and was a little nervous. Good for her. She can now get formal acceptance into the Iowa MBA program.

I think that the test I had to take way back when for my MBA classes was called the GRE, the Graduate Record Examination. I have no clue on when I took it, or where, or my score. It must have been in Delaware since I started taking MBA courses when I was stationed at Dover with the USAF.

Have a great week.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that the baseball player with the really good hair? :)