Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday PM

That's not me and a friend. (Hey, those guys look old !) Just a photo to celebrate me being "on the road again" for my first post-April 15th ride. I did a little 15-miler on the bike path at a casual pace. That will be my schtik for the next couple of weeks until I get my legs.

I haven't been on the bike that much since the accident in July. I need to log saddle time to just get comfortable again. While the saying goes that riding is a quickly-remembered activity, there's an element of "road sense" that comes only with time out there.

The bike path is better shape than the city streets. The pot hole problem will be a budget-buster for Bettendorf this year. They've got a team out painting markings on problem spots in the streets, even mine. They have to be running out of paint. They might be better off marking the places that don't need repair.

The April 15th party was a pretty small affair. It turned out to be the nicest day of the year, and several people elected outdoor activities as opposed to rubbing (and exercising!) elbows with some stressed-out CPA's. But Biaggi's did a fine job, and it was a very enjoyable evening.

Without realizing it at the time, I have since figured out that Biaggi's has certainly acquired the distinction of being the April 15th destination of choice now for at least three or four years running. In my twisted logic, that fact of repetition is high praise for the establishment.

Anyone hear the new population group, the "scuppies"? Socially conscious urban professional somethings. I think that while their hearts are in the right place, they could be a true danger to society. Global warming. All natural trail mix. No MSG. I bet Al Gore is their patron saint.

OK. This was just a sample. Like Michael said when he un-retired, "I'm back!"

BCOT





No comments: