Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wednesday

Our contracted computer consultant has been updating our network/system, and the new versions of some of our programs have been tweaked, I'm sure with the purpose to make them better. For the most part, with most things, old guys like things the way they were. Learning to accommodate those little "tweaks" requires new key strokes and sequences. Grrr.

I've also noted that Blogger's spell-check function has been upgraded to include a real-time underscore-alert for a possible misspelled word. The boys is the cubicles keep themselves busy.

In case anyone has not read a sports page in the last week or two, the bandwagon of, "ND Stinks", is a little over-crowded. The most blusterous of the passengers are the media types who criticized ND for the Willingham firing three years ago. As I have said on this blog previously, I supported the change in coaches then, and I still do. Weis is finding out that his recruiting skills need work. But when that weakness is corrected, they should win. The breast-beating over the racial issue repulses me.

Without doubt, ND football sucks right now. I can live with that. It would be nicer if they were winning, but, on the brighter side, tickets are easier to come by in the down years. Let's go to a game!

We moved here from Chicago in 1980. Since then, on every vehicle that I have owned, the set radio stations have always included three Chicago standards, 670 (previously WMAQ), 720 (WGN), and 780 (WBBM). Initially, I just liked keeping up with the old town, but then I figured out that I liked the programming (at least some of the time), so those stations stuck. Until last week.

670 (now WSCR, The Score), has been exclusively a sports station for the last 3-4 years when the parent company elected to give WMAQ's stronger signal to The Score (which had been operating in C-town on a lower wattage station). The Score prided itself on edgy, controversial talk show hosts, and nothing (or no one) was sacred. (They even reached out to flambaque Iowa and Steve Alford when the university didn't take decisive action on the initial Pierre Pierce problem. When they ambushed Alford on a live interview (after having first told him that the Pierce subject would not be questioned on the air) Alford hung up on them. Obviously, Alford was an idiot to think they were calling to just chat about "the team". Whatever. They never missed an opportunity after that to dump on everything Iowa.)

Anyway, on September 11th, last week, one of the afternoon drive time personalities segued from a brief remembrance thing on the 9/11 tragedy to a rant on the White House. Basically doing a Kieth Olbermann imitation. I have no problem with criticism of the politicians, but I can get that on the networks or cable anytime. So I have acted and now 670 The Score is gone from my radios. Take that you pea brains.

This action is somewhat similar to my shunning of the baseball pages in USA Today after the last strike by the players. It took be a year or two before I finally got back to checking out the daily stories and the box scores. But with WSCR, I can assure you that I will never return to it's audience.

Looking forward to some FFF this weekend.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a few months ago, when i got the oil changed in the monty, the final bill seemed a little higher than normal. of course, i didn't notice this detail until AFTER i had left because i rarely look at the total i am signing. (sorry mom and dad) i was peeved that i had paid more. it looked like they had put in the more expensive oil. whatever, i wasn't going to go back and argue it.
fast forward a few months. today in the mail i got a letter from oil change place. in it, in veiled language, they acknowledged that there may have been some "miscommunication" regarding the different oil services, and included 3 $10 off oil change coupons. sounds to me like i wasn't the only one swindled.