Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday

Road day. Back from DM. Got to share a late afternoon SB's with 4 in IC on my way home. A good trip.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the cast is off. They gave me a removable Velcro splint/wrap to be used as needed. It's great having both hands to take a shower. Just the simple task of washing one's hands is now a bit of a treat. I have a long way to go to get to a normal mobility for the thumb, and even then, it will probably be at some reduced range of motion.

In a weekend of forgettable domestic activities, I had the carpet in my second bedroom swapped-out (for carpet and pad that I had salvaged from my front-room make-over a few years back), an effort that I had planned for at least a couple of years. I had given my number to one of the guys who was on the crew that replaced some tile and carpet here at the office last month, and out of the blue, he calls me Friday afternoon and says that he can do it Saturday morning. After about three, "Who's this's?" from me, I finally figured out who he was and gave him the green light to do the job.

It took him and his spouse/assistant less than an hour and a half to rip out the old (carpet and pad), put down the new pad, and then measure out, cut and tack down the replacement carpet. And get rid of the rest of my remnant, and vacuum the finished room. With a 10 minute smoke break in the middle. His charge? $67. (I think he mentally valued my humble abode and figured that I was not all that flush.) I gave him a hundo and told him he needed a minimum fee in his pricing structure.

4 no longer has any carpet in reserve for a possible future need in IC or elsewhere.

The "community" Taurus has a new operator for a day or so. Mom has her car down for some scheduled maintenance and is using Black Beauty. It's been a good Plan B option over the last year or so. Knock on wood.

There was a time when I would schedule months in advance to get to the Iowa-Iowa State game. Not this year. The Clones would be better off playing the "Meek" Irish.

Have a good one.

BCOT

No comments: