Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday

I see where the Hawkeyes game tomorrow is scheduled for a 7PM kick-off. To accommodate TV, I'm sure. I remember when they had a similar starting time for a game with Arizona State, maybe three years ago. It was Dad's Day for Theta and I had made the trip to be with 3, at least for the pre-game Theta party. We walked to the stadium area from downtown, and I was amazed at the alcohol on display.

There were stories in today's local papers about U of I scheduling more Friday classes to combat the problem of binge drinking on campus. If the university was serious about the alcohol problem, Saturday night football games wouldn't even be considered. It's bad enough when they delay the start times to 2:30 or 3:00. Let's face it. The tailgating is going to start at 9AM (or earlier) regardless of game time.

Back when I was in college (when I had to walk 8 miles to class, in the snow, wind or rain...just joking there), we did have Saturday classes. Actually, almost all of the freshman year classes were three credit hour courses that met either M-W-F or T-T-S. It's my recollection that the Saturday classes met at 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, or 11:30. On home game days, the 11:30 class met at 7:30. Game time was always 1:30.

We knew how to tailgate. And alcohol was a problem then too. Some things don't change.

Since I have the satellite as my TV system (rather than cable), I have the broadcast of the game on my tube. It's a Big Ten Network program, and the parties have failed to agree on a deal with Mediacom, the major cable provider in most Iowa cities. So some of my friends have already suggested that I host the evening. Which I am glad to do, but they'll have to turn out the lights themselves when they go home, because, obviously with a 7PM kick-off, the second half will be well past my bedtime! (Just joking again...:))

3 is on the road to Tahoe for the weekend. Business deal, but she should get to check in on Uncle Phil. Disregarding her training in the Twin Cities, this is her first official business trip. You go girl!

Well, this was a little more than you might have expected for Friday, but consider it my pleasure to provide a little entertainment for the masses heading into the weekend. Now, I'm off for the Tuscan red.

BCOT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't play it off like a joke...the second half of the hawkeye game will be way past your bedtime! lucky #3 on her way to tahoe....we just booked our spring break trip to phoenix for spring training. i've never been and we found some okay deals on air & hotel. i think the suns are in town the weekend we are there. lots of grading to do this weekend, i've got a race on sunday as my last really long training run. they're so cheap you don't even get a t-shirt. they give you some dumb glass stein. boring! more later
love

Anonymous said...

So the 29th attack in Iowa Citysince this time last year was recorded last night. On the 800th block on Burlington. Know where I live ?? (823) A girl from our neighboring sorority was raped. If that doesn't make you scared to walk home at night...

Anonymous said...

and talking on your cell phone doesn't make you safe! it is probably more dangerous because then you aren't paying attention. you better make sure that b/f sees you to the door EVERY night. that stuff is no joking business...