Saturday, January 20, 2007

Saturday

Not much to report from here. Sunny and cool. The forecast is for snow tomorrow.

3 is back in Chicago for the weekend. 4 has a sorority function in Omaha. 2 may be in recovery from some bad shrimp at the office party yesterday afternoon.

I had an interesting visit yesterday from an ND classmate from Ohio who was in town on businesss. I hadn't seen him in 30 years. He played second base on our baseball team and we were pretty good friends the last couple of years of undergrad school. He went into the Marines after graduation and we saw one another in Virginia a few times in the early '70's when I was stationed at Dover. He now has a software company and he was in town selling software to a company who uses my partner for tax services. He saw my name on our letterhead that was with some financial information shown to him by the client and he made the call. It's truly a small world.

An article in the local paper this AM described a gal originally from Davenport West who recently won a winter triathlon out in Colorado. Heather Best. She was a multi-sport star who may have been the local Female Athlete of the Year her senior year. She's with the Forestry Service in Alaska now, I think. The triathlon was bike, run, and cross-country ski. 5-7 miles each. In the snow. She completed it in less than two hours.

In another ND baseball story, Jeff Samardzija, the record-setting football receiver who also played baseball, was given a $10 million deal by the Chicago Cubs to play baseball. The deal included a $2.5 million signing bonus, and options on a couple more years that could make it a $16.5 in total. By contrast, my ND graduation deal was, "Welcome to the US Air Force. We pay $750 a month."

I also have to fix my mail box today. Not that I get that much mail. But the door to it now falls off when it is pulled to open the box. I don't think that the mailman sees much humor in it's lack of a funtional hinge mechanism. (A day dreamer might bring up the children's story of, Donald's Magical Mailbox, but that's another story.)

I'm off to clean up the Buick and go get the Taurus so that I have the older car when the snow comes in tomorrow.

Have a great day out there. Everyone be safe in their travels.

Be careful out there.

No comments: