Saturday, January 13, 2007

Saturday

I missed doing an entry yesterday as I was out of the office most of the afternoon, and just never got back before meeting friends for Tuscan red. Big crew last night. Unfortunately, my taste buds are still AWOL and wine is one of the least appealing liquids to sample. So I ended up being a pretty early departure from the impromptu party. I'm planning a weekend of couch-time so that I can get closer to 100% of normal, health-wise, for next week.

My pal Pete joined us for a late coffee/breakfast (actually, he had tea) this AM at the IHOP. He had called on the way back from his morning run along the river. His latest gizmo is a GPS unit that is slightly bigger than an Ironman wrist watch. Not only does it give time and distance covered, it can be connected to your home computer and it will print out the route that you actually travelled! We figured that my pal Roy's fiance will be getting him one that will end up working like a prisoner's ankle bracelet. He'll never be below radar. Heck, she may already have a chip in his car somewhere.

My niece in Seattle is pregnant with twins. The closest relatives that I can name with twins are first cousins on my Dad's side of the family. I think that one of Daddy's sisters who lived in Ottumwa had twins who were in Aunt Martha's age range. And I think that maybe a couple of other siblings of the twins (it was a big Catholic family) then had twins in that next generation. The Seattle twins would be another generation down the line. Do genes travel that far, or is it just nature?

I was right on a couple of scores earlier this week. First, the lawsuit against the Vatican was front page news in the local fishwrap. Although they couldn't get the local attorney's to contribute any meaty quotes. And second, Big Monday does start this coming Monday. Followed by Super Tuesday and ACC Wednesday.

ND has hired a new defensive coordinator for next year. Duh! If Charlie gets 10 wins next year, he'll be Coach of the Year.

A post-script on Cabo. There had been two separate charges on my last credit card bill for what were obviously air and hotel accommodations. In the course of various conversations while in Cabo, the guy who had coordinated the trip had commented how the deal was actually pretty reasonable. Those conversations lead me to believe that the golf was included in the hotel bill. And doing the math, if golf was included in the hotel, it was a good deal. Well, as this trip has proven in the past, no such luck. My latest credit card bill came in this week and it had another line-item for the third leg of the tripod, this one for golf, and The Why Pay Less Tour continues to merit it's title.

Winter is in the forecast for the weekend. No complaints from me for mid-January. In another 45 days, it will be close to Spring. Let it snow. Give the ski people a break.

4 is correct. Spell-check on the New Blogger is very handy.

Have a great weekend. Thanks for reading.

Be careful out there.

No comments: