Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sunday

Kind of a no-headlines weekend on Maplecrest. Not that that is a bad thing.

The Sunrise Cafe ride wasn't going to happen anyway, but the fog this morning would have scrubbed the trip regardless. I had taken The W out for an early walk, and the street lights weren't even visible from 200 yards. Hitting the road on a bike in that shroud wouldn't have been an option. I plan to ride in the morning, so I hope there's not a repeat performance of the fog.

It's always a change of pace for me to host The Winniferous. She's a needy girl. But for a single night like this time, I don't have to make many adjustments. We do our walks. I always bar-b-que something with a leftover bone as a special treat for her. And she follows me everywhere!! On a weekend with fair weather, we spend a lot of time outside. She knows most of the squirrels on my block by name.

The new truck is a hit. I still need to adjust to its size. In my driveway, that parking spot to the East side of the front of my garage is kinda tight for this ride compared to the Taurus. When I tried to back the Buick out one day last week, it was a multi-positioning effort. Given that close of a squeeze, parking Margret in the garage on that side is no longer even an option. (The license plate from the Taurus was transferable...the BEATER lives. My insurance premium went up by $6 compared to the Taurus. Since I only cover the other guy in an accident, not my vehicle, does that mean that the truck can cause more damage?)

The 2015 calendar must work out more traditional. Last year, I was at the first Iowa football game with my pal Doc Doug that last weekend in August. Must be something about how Labor Day falls because I left the game after halftime for a visit to Harvest Path...as I must have had Monday off. I like this year's schedule better. Football in August goes against my grain.

When I ride in the Buick, I listen to Prime Country on the Sirius radio service. That station plays predominately '80's and '90's music. (In contrast to Y2K Country which is the newer oldie channel playing songs form the 2000's.).
Anyway, I now find myself turning the channel elsewhere when I am in one of the other vehicles with the local country FM station WLLR on the radio. New country is way too too for me. How old does that make me?

How's this for bringing generations together? We OWG's are paper-readers, right? (Except when they raise the prices past the value point...or when the papers are so bad you elect not to read them.) Millennials have always got their news online. I find myself reading the local Illinois paper on line now since I stopped buying it each morning. It doesn't feel the same.

Lots to do this week. Really looking forward to FFF in Iowa City.

Make it a good week in your neighborhood.

BCOT





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: