Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday

This looks like it might be a longer day than scheduled. The flight out of Reno was delayed because of weather in Chicago. You can make up time when heading East, but I suspect that we can still run into delays getting slotted in for landing. I mean, if they held us in Reno, other flights will be in the same boat. Love the joys of air travel.

My routine for these three mornings was to stay on Central time...pretty much...and go to 1st Coffee at Starbucks while most of the rest of the house was still in bed...RevKev's fishing trip being the exception. I'd stop at the 7-11 to get a sweet roll and the newspapers before crossing over to SB's. Interestingly, I paid $2.75 for the daily San Francisco Chronicle, quite a bit above my normal limit. The Reno paper may have only been $.50. Neither were noteworthy, but it gave us some reading material.

We saw no bike riders on either side of Mt. Rose on our way down to the airport this morning. Whatever the bet might have been set at, the Under would have paid. There were a few riders on the road over to South Shore yesterday afternoon, but boy, the narrowness of that track with all the cars parked on either shoulder is scary. The LtPC will be scheduling other activities next year.

Just for yucks, here's a Top Ten list on the fam's vacations to Tahoe:

1. 07282012. The whole week.
2. Our first visit. I remember us stepping into the lake onto those rocks by the road.
3. That first hike up Squaw when 4 just left us in the dust.
4. 2014 when we had 1.01 and 1.02 to entertain us.
5. Any of my death marches up Mt. Rose.
6. The all-fam reunion in 2010. A great day at Burnt Cedar Beach.
7. Carrie and David's wedding. Lots of family.
8. The retro-condo in Kings Beach.
9. Any of the Wally days/beers/lunches on South Shore.
10. Sand Harbor.


Frank Gifford died yesterday. At 84, and 18 years older than me, I have no recollection of his playing days. I don't think I could have even remembered the fact that he went to USC. But he did have a second career as a sports announcer, and I do recall, generally, the MNF booth with him, Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith. (Was his third career that of husband to Cathy Lee?) I'll add that gritty, black and white picture of Chuck Bednaric standing over him after a vicious hit when I have the chance. That's an iconic photo attesting to the violence of football even 50+ years ago. It put Gifford on the sidelines for most of two seasons.



I was surprised to hear from Tahoe Phil that the permanent, year-round population of Incline Village is less than 10,000 people. That's an interesting demographic for a destination that is so highly praised. But the reality is that the climate is more attractive to vacationers than it might be for someone looking to settle down. Housing is very expensive. There's little industry outside of tourism and leisure. They probably can't find enough service-industry workers, and there's probably little opportunity for young professionals. For me, as much as I like to visit, I won't be making an offer on any of the available housing any time soon. (The South Shore probably has a little different story. There's a lot more development on both sides of the border, and the gaming industry has a big footprint on the Nevada side.)

(Totally random...in-flight movie that I am not watching...Harrison Ford and Blake Lively? Really, Hollywood. Don't. Just don't.)

OK. I have no creativity left. I'm guessing that my ETA on Maplecrest will be 2230. That'll be fun.

Finally, a special thanks to Tahoe Phil and Jan for them being their typically superior hosts for the weekend. You're the best. We'll get a date for our Tahoe2016 set as early as we can.

Hope it is a good week in your neighborhood.

BCOT




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: