Friday, August 07, 2015

Friday - In-route to Reno

So this is another entry initiated while I am in the air, this time for the quick visit to Incline Village. All things working correctly, I'll publish this post when We hit the deck in Reno

I really don't remember my exact logic when I bought this ticket with the direct flight on American out of ORD. I'm guessing that it was a combination of price and timing...as well as the appeal of a non-connecting flight plan. In any event, my schedule this AM was actually a little later than yesterday when I did the first half of my early ride in the dark. But I still had to deal with what was most of three hours from 1st Coffee at Dunn's to arrival at the remote parking lot at ORD. Not the worst drive in my life, for sure, but still there was some stress from the drive, traffic, construction and logistics once I got to the ORD area. Whatever. No travel is stress-free.

I didn't watch the debates last night. I had some curiosity, but not enough to overcome my distaste for The Donald. It sounds like Carly Fiorino may have come away with the most positive vibes from the evening. Is it politics or a circus? I guess we'll see as the tail-enders run out of money.

The Shania tour continues to roll on. She's playing (or has now played) Des Moines this week. The DM Register had a story about her show yesterday. She must wake up every day not knowing where she might be. I wonder how many times she will mis-state (literally!) her location in her in-show small-talk segments. She has to be making some serious coin with this tour.

Reba was in Davenport this week at the Mississippi Valley Fair for a one-night-stand. I think she drew an audience of 30K or so. That fair has a history of bringing in some top-line stars...I know Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn and Toby Keith have all appeared there in prior years. It must pay.

I did stop buying the Illinois side paper (due to the price increase). Dunn's usually has a house copy of the QC Times, so I'll cruise through it quickly most days at 2nd Coffee...mostly for the obits. They've changed the font arrangement on that whole paper, reducing paper quantity used, I'm sure. I wonder how much longer an actual local paper will still be published in paper form on a daily basis? Once the market figures out a more efficient method for distribution of the sales ads, the newspapers will be toast.

In other media news, there's talk of Disney taking ESPN to a stand-alone offering in the media space, similar to HBO or Showtime. Interesting. I don't understand streaming, Netflix, Hulu, or any of that stuff, but I get the concept of ESPN separating itself from other, less-ambitious content providers. They say that live sports is one of the primary drivers in viewer demand. With Disney in the cat-bird's seat right now, why not flex some muscle and stick a finger in the eye of the cable/satellite providers?

What's a cat-bird? And exactly what kind of a seat is it? Just sayin'.

Speaking of Disney, the sell-off in their stock this week may be a buying opportunity. I mean, there were all the elements of "buy on the rumor, sell on the news" being the play before their earnings were announced Wednesday after the bell. After their run-up, profit-taking should have been expected, regardless of anything in the earnings report. It sounds like they have another iteration of Star Wars coming to theaters in the next year that may be the biggest grossing movie...EVER. Frozen. Theme parks. ESPN. If we avoid economic Armageddon, Disney should do well.

No big plans for Tahoe. I'll add here or on Twitter as I feel the inspiration.

Hope it is a good weekend in your neighborhood.

BCOT









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: