Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wednesday

May 14th.  How did we get there so fast?  Like I said in an earlier post, May will be a vapor trail.

I forgot to mention that the GPS golf watch worked entirely as advertised on Sunday down at Geneva.  That was my first time breaking it out for use at my home course.  I even had to hit a couple buttons to have it go to the 10th hole to start with as we teed off on the back nine because of some traffic on the front.  Not a problem.  My pal Ron even began asking me for his yardage rather than pulling out his hand-held range-finder for his shots.  Bottom line...this was a great gift for the Lt.

Good to get 2 back in our area code.  The W was a welcome guest, but she does change my routines.

The Giro d' Italia is in full swing across the pond.  They actually started the race with three stages in Ireland, and then flew the riders to southern Italy to begin anew in a town (Bari) that 2 and I considered visiting before we decided our 2013 itinerary from Naples to Sicily.  Now the race heads North, eventually getting to the mountains.  With a May race, they always face the possibility of snow limiting access to the scheduled routes in the Dolomites.

Interestingly, the biggest stage race in the USA, the Tour of California, is going on this week on the Left Coast.  This is the race that was supposed to start at Lake Tahoe a few years back, and they had to cancel the first stage entirely, and abbreviate the second stage because of snow.  Without Lance, Levi, and the other bigger domestic names that once attracted local (USA) interest, I'm guessing that the bar has been lowered in determining what amounts to success for the organizers of this race.  They have a title sponsor, and some bigger names from the European circuit.

I admit to watching the season finale of NCIS last night.  Usually, I just don't have the patience to sit through an hour show.  Anyway, my one take-away's was the appearance in the funeral scene for Gibbs' father of recurring guest Billy Dee Williams as the older Gibbs' long-time friend.  Billy Dee Williams made his biggest splash in the movies as a character in the 2nd and 3rd Star Wars movies in the early '80's.  He also played the lead in a Chicago cult sports TV movie called Brian's Song (playing Gayle Sayers).  He has a long list of roles.  I'm betting that any actor/actress of note over age 30 could be connected to him in two degrees of separation.

In honor of 3, here's our weekly appearance of the Ship of the Desert.

Make it a good Wednesday in your world.

BCOT



No comments: