Friday, May 09, 2014

Friday

Sunny and not-quite 75 in the QCA today.  Feels like Spring, not Winter, which is good.

This is the one week of the year where the trees in my yard are on their best behavior.  The blooms make for a pretty picture.  Beginning next week, the blooms will have fallen, a mysterious blight will start, and by the end of July the leaves will be mostly gone.  And that's even after the PN has sprayed all of the trees for disease.

Life with The Winniferous has been as expected.  I'm actually a little tired from our walks.  Evenings are much better as the wildlife is less in evidence and she is less distracted. 

Tahoe Phil advises me that I missed his birthday by one day.  Meh.  That's within my margin of error on almost anything.

I had virtually no interest in the NFL draft last night, except that I was curious if Johnny Football would make it as a high pick.  When he wasn't in the top three, I took The W for a walk, and only referred back to the draft occasionally while online.  I noticed that he was chosen 22nd by Cleveland.  I almost hope that he succeeds to prove the detractors wrong.  Not that I'm a big fan of his, but the sports writers/broadcasters/columnists are just awful. 

The kid is a little like Joe Theismann from my days at ND.  A little on the small side.  Wiry.  Quick feet.  Deceptive skills.  Annoying personality.  Joe had a decent career...won a Super Bowl with Washington and went to the Pro Bowl a couple of times.  (He may be a little like the Vikings' Fran Tarkenton as well.  Also a Hall of Famer.)  So Johnny has a shot.  Buckle up, Dawg Pound!


ND even had a player chosen before Manziel, Zack Martin, an offensive lineman who was chosen 16th by the Cowboys.  Not that I knew the kid's name or position before checking the news today.  But the fact that ND has been getting some players drafted is an indication that their talent level has been up-graded by the current coach.  You don't compete with the big boys without top-notch talent.

The whole draft day extravaganza is another example of our excesses.  What would Mel Kiper do if this was all still done with a few phone calls?  Tell me that there isn't some big money involved. 

Headed out for the evening.  Might open the BBQ on Maplecrest tonight.  Hope all of the Mom's in the Peanut Gallery have a nice weekend.  If you're reading 4000 Days, you're a good Mom.  I know my readership!

BCOT

No comments: