Sunday, March 02, 2014

Sunday

From "sunny and 75", its back into the deep freeze.  4-5 inches of new snow last night.  Zero degrees this AM.  At least its not -17 like up on Harvest Path.  I did have to break out my heavy parka again when I did the snow blowing after First Coffee.  I had optimistically hung it in the back closet before the trip.

I noted on my 2008 calendar on the Memory Wall downstairs that I was outside on my bike on both March 1st and 2nd.  Global warming fo' sure, Al.  I mean, climate change.  Gotta get my PC terminology correct.

Also on the calendar is a note that I started the EJ McKay story this weekend last year.  Glad I finally got a wrap on that before the one-year anniversary!.

(And finally from the calendar, for you trivia buffs, 2014 is an exact replica of 2008 except for January and February where the days in those two months were one weekday off..  2008 was a leap year, and that 29th day in February kicked March 1st to a Saturday, just like this year.)

Not a lot of post-scripts to report on the boys' golf trip to Vero.  The golf courses were good, not great.  The food was excellent.  The wine was all top-shelf and above.  Accommodations in my pal Roy's seaside condo were luxurious.  The travel was OK with just about an hour delay on the final leg back to MLI.  Eight compatible guys.  No hassles.

All of that said, a repeat next year will have to adjust to using the two weekend days rather than the five regular work days.  Only two of the guys don't work full time, so the majority of us see that kind of a tweaking of the schedule as a positive move.  (Since I was a Replacement Player, I may not even be on the squad next year.)

(I had to prematurely publish those first paragraphs.  Blogger was acting up again.  I didn't want to lose what I had written, and the program was refusing to "save" after a spellcheck.)

The one aspect of the trip on the business side of things was that my mobile devices allowed me to stay on top of email and phone calls.  There were no surprises on those items when I got to my desk on Saturday.  Another example of how you can stay in the game from the road.


Another thing that occurred to me on the trip was the relative order that exists in the routine processing of the thousands of travelers that come through the congestion of an airport the size of Atlanta on any given, normal day.  (Weather that shuts runways down not being a "normal" day.)   Much of it relies on the intense interest of passengers to get to where they are supposed to be.  I mean, we all want to catch our flights and get to our destinations.  We follow the screens posting departure times and gates.  We get to the right concourses.

I suppose that experience counts in this equation.  When you've been through enough airports, you have a better sense of what is important in getting from here to there.  And you need even less guidance.  Like most successful business models, if you have a product that people want, or need, make it available at the right price and the right accessibility, then you should be able to make a buck.


There has to be a similar logic that could be leveraged for successful government programs, but you would need to factor in waste, graft, politics and incompetence in that algorithm.

1 and 4 get the honors of domestic Daughters of the Day.  1 for hanging in there for another below zero weekend up North.  4 for dealing with a disabled L train and the resulting lousy commute while excelling in the production of her weekend shows.

And 3 catches the International Daughter of the Day.  She's across the pond in London on bid'ness.  3.1 tagged along for the weekend.

All for now.  I may add an update this evening.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT


3 comments:

2 said...

I like that the photos of 1&4 are of them shopping.

1 said...

I was thinking the same thing! We'll get some new ones of us doing more shopping next week!!

Kelebek Nakliyat said...

BBC inter-city and inter-city cargo storage items, our company is part of the shipping company first comes to mind at the mention of the transport SOME SITE CHARACTERISTICS
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliye
Şehirlerarası nakliyat
Şehirlerarası nakliye
evden eve nakliyat
Kalkavan evden eve nakliyat
Gebze evden eve nakliyat
Darıca evden eve nakliyat
Kalkavan nakliyat
bazacı
baza başlık
Bazalar
Thank you thank you for choosing us