Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday...Small UPDATE

I thought that I might get some posting done from the road this weekend, but obviously I was mistaken. Not that life on the road has been all that exciting, but there has just not been a lot of original thought breaking the surface as the miles drone along.

Yeah, my picks suck too.

One of my professional designations has required some catch-up CPE as a result of a missed seminar a year ago. That was the time in April a year ago when weather forced a bunch of cancellations at MLI on the day I was departing and they weren't going to to get me to PHX until two days later. So I just didn't make the trip. And as a result, the CPE for the year didn't get done. 10 hours required. The organization has been politely saying to get'r done before 3/31 or the designation becomes invalid.

The mobile technology allows me to dial up sessions posted to their website, listen to the program, then attest that I've done so. No testing, but I've toed the line and actually listened to the taped presentations. 7 hours worth on this trip. Which makes the road time somewhat productive, I guess. I've been listening to the sessions that I missed in PHX last year. Probably paying more attention than I would have had I been at the conference, crossword and all.

The featured presenter at the conference, and one of the hours that I listened to this AM, was Nate Silver. His claim to fame was initially statistical analysis in Major League Baseball, which he somehow parlayed into political prognostication. He had the Big O's election win in 2012 nailed the week before the vote. Anyway, his presentation was basically a discussion of sorting through the "noise" to get to relevant data for decision-making. In an age where we have all this computing power, an advisor needs to understand what data actually matters in making good choices and advising clients. Kind of common sense stuff, but we do get carried away at times using false or irrelevant indicators.

Country Club Plaza in KC remains one of my favorite places to visit, but the weather was a little less than ideal this time. Cool yesterday and none of the bars had their outdoor areas open. It would be worth the trip for another visit this year. Maybe I'll do a Royals game.

I guess I didn't mention here that I had my annual health physical last week. Most of the report was ok, but I do have a couple of points to work on, chloresterol being one of them. I find that odd. No family history. Not the worst eating habits. But I haven't had the best Winter from a fitness standpoint. So I've kind of decided to start Lent a little later than the calendar directs and get to a better number by Tahoe. It will be a good challenge.

I had to process the health insurance claim for this doctor's visit through Medicare. I am humbled to have to admit that fact. It was one thing to accept an AARP card that came unsolicitedly 10 years ago (which I accepted to get that 10% discount at hotels). But to enroll in Medicare is almost the ultimate admission of the reality that you are OLD!!!

(For the uninformed, the system pretty much forces you into Medicare. Once I hit 65, the monthly premium on the office health plan for a single person rose to over $1100 a month. The system is broken. If our doc's and hospitals elected to not accept Medicare, then what? And the doc's just get killed on their Medicare reimbursement rates. I know. Here's a great idea. Let's bring the government in to solve the problem!!!)

May get back here later this evening. My RCL will be AWOL this week...as will her fill-in. So I have to take care of a few domestic chores myself. Yuck.

UPDATE:   Giving my sister Rosemary Sister of the Day status.  Fun visit with her and Tom on Friday night. 

And a hearty congrats to the ISU fans in the Peanut Gallery for the 'Clones big win late this afternoon against Carolina.  Even without their inside guy who broke his foot Thursday, ISU was able to take advantage of their strengths and get a huge victory.  They could win another game.

No issues upon my return to Maplecrest.  Busy week in my future. Lots needs to get out the door before heading to Minny for March Madness on Friday.  But I'll still try to add some information to the Body of Knowledge here in the next few days.  The forecast is for snow here tomorrow.  Suite.

BCOT


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: