Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Tuesday

I initially thought that today was Maundy Tuesday, but I had my parts of Lent mixed up.  My Internet search confirmed that today is "Shrove" Tuesday.  At the end of Lent, in Holy Week, we have Maundy Thursday.  Just thought that you should know.

(Mardi Gras is also known as Fat Tuesday.)

I've been doing my own version of a "cleanse" this week.  After last week's excesses in wine and fine dining, its a Spartan menu on Maplecrest this week.  I should be ready for a glass of vino this weekend up on Harvest Path when 4 hits town.

I missed this at the start of the Daytona 500.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhk91bcadg4 . Very cool.

This is girls state basketball tournament week in Iowa.  For the record, Winter is never over until after this tournament.

The Augustana men got word yesterday that they had received an at-large bid to the D-III tournament.  With seven losses, including one in the semi-finals of their conference tournament last weekend, I was doubtful that they would get the call.  Its really a sign of respect that the committee has for the conference...which is the D-III equivalent to the Big Ten or Big-12.  The bad news is that they face St. Thomas in their opener.  If they were to by chance win that game, they have Wisconsin-Whitewater (ranked 3rd in the country), at Whitewater, in the pod final to move on to the Sweet 16.

For all the political hand-wringing going on about the geo-political event in Russia/Ukraine, the realities might be that the internal economic pressures may have the most influence to diffuse the crisis.  The monied-class in Russia, which isn't that big, has little appetite for politics that negatively impact their wealth.  Vladimir's chain is more likely to be pulled at home rather than from Washington.

In a shocking turn of events, my pal Pete has pulled the trigger and purchased a new bike.  A really, really nice new bike.  I haven't seen it yet, but its a Trek Madonne 7.7 (I think), that lists for like six grand.  He paid under four, but still, that's a leap for a guy who has ridden a basic aluminum-frame, low-end Paramount made by Schwinn 25 years ago.  Good for him.

(He mentioned this AM that one of the factors that attracted him to Trek was his experience on the rental bike from Incline's Village Ski Loft that he used to climb Mt. Rose in 2012.  His Paramount was also a piece of crap.  Just sayin'.)

I am remiss in failing to recognize the February 21 anniversary of Mother's passing...13 years ago.  Hard to believe that it has been that long ago.  So much water under the bridge since then.  Her last gift to me was an abstract, ethereal peace of sorts that has allowed me to enjoy the many good things in my life.  Margaret was a great lady.  Here's her smile in a pic with Philip.

All for today.  Get ready for Lent!

BCOT




1 comment:

Mary Margaret said...

anyone giving anything up for Lent?