Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday

I'm not entirely sure of my time and place in the world as I sit down to post this entry. As my closest of associates will know, I don't re-set my Ironman wrist watch when I travel...and it tells me 10:55. Add 7 hours and we're at 5:55 local...which is what the iPad is showing at the top of my screen. So those of you in the New Country are not quite past mid-day on your Thursday. OK...my mind is now on point.

I did get out on my bike for a little over an hour this AM on the walk-way along the beach in downtown Salerno. Nothing special about the ride, although I need to do so oiling of my break lines before going out tomorrow. Kind of surreal to be riding seven time zones away from my last ride. On the same bike.

2 and I both slept like 12 hours once we hit the bed last night. That over-night flight is a beach. I don't sleep on planes. The lay-over in Dusselforf was just long. Then it was the time to rent the car, and the drive to Salerno. The autostrade is just like an Interstate, but with less land on the sides or in the medium. It even had a couple of points of construction to make it seem more like home.




Our room is very basic. We do have our on bathroom and shower. We are close enough to walk downtown...and to the ocean-front. Salerno is an old town...and we are past the Summer beach season. Classic European narrow streets, small cars...and lots of motor scooters. We have a hotel parking spot a couple of blocks from our location.

The trip over to Pompeii today was a success. The archeological dig is several dozen acres and a person could spend days there if they we really into that sort of thing. We were there for 2+ hours and that was enough. It's a huge tourist attraction and there were many guided groups with leaders speaking several different languages. It was about a 30- minute trip from here back towards Naples to get to Pompeii. Vesuvius is the big hill above the town that caused the problem.

I had serious doubts about finding the parking entrance upon our return. But after a couple of mis-hits, we made the right turn and got there. Lucky. If there was a lottery ticket place available, I'd be buying tonight.

And the bottle of wine that we picked-up on the walk to our hotel from the parking place is one that we used to drink at Biaggi's!! A barbera that is ok, but not great. Funny that we go a world away and find a bottle of wine that we drink in Bettendorf!


This one was a screw-top. 2 noted that I paid $8.50 Euro...which is about the price that the Hy Vee on 53rd charges for the same bottle. She said that we could use it as our wine-currency reference data-point for the trip. Not a bad idea!




I guess 2 gets to be Daughter of the Day...for getting us to and from Pompeii!!! You're a long way from home, Baby.

So that's all for today. If you were looking for deep thoughts, sorry.

Will try to post another entry tomorrow.

BCOT


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: