Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday

Guess where this is coming from?


Based on the number of flights cancelled last night, and the number of cots strewn about the DFW terminal this morning, I had no expectation of BOTH 2 and I getting stand-by seats on the Moline flight this AM. Given the bad facts of our situation, maybe the moon and stars ARE still lined up for us as we complete this trip.

(I'm also thinking that the gate agents who worked with us last night are due credit. They did get us as positions #1 and #2 on the stand-by list for this flight. And the agent this AM only called out three names after the aircraft had been boarded with assigned-seat passengers. In my world, this experience is by far from the worst result for stranded passengers.)

The reality of air travel for me in the last couple of years or so is that there is an unfortunately high percentage of significant disruptions to my scheduled trips. Things that go beyond a delay of an hour or two. For instance:

1. Loss of most of a day on my return from the Charleston wedding a couple years back.
2. The cluster when the flight to Paris for 4 and I was cancelled. (Actually, the flight out of MLI was cancelled and we had to reconstruct an itinerary just to get to Paris. Where we sat for most of the day to catch a flight to Bilbao.)
3. My flight to PHX was cancelled just this past April. And I scrubbed the whole trip.
4. The Reno flight for 2, @srh4 and I was cancelled a couple years back and we had to go a day later.
5. The boys' golf trip MLI flight was delayed to DEN in 2011 and we had to stay the night at an airport hotel, getting to PHX in the AM.
6. The boys' golf trip MLI flight was delayed to DEN in 2012 and we spent several hours waiting for another PHX flight. That was the time we were ordering BOTTLES of wine in the airport lounge.
7.  Business trip to PHX in May 2012 with my pal Bill that had us getting late into DFW for our MLI connection.  We ended up in Chicago and had to drive home late into the night.

Gosh, that list IS a bit disturbing. And I'm sure that it is not complete. Just the ones that come immediately to mind. No wonder I have this cynical approach to my scheduled air travel. Not that I'm going to stop making trips.


I'm giving 2 the distinction as Daughter of the Day for getting past the troubles of this leg of our trip in good spirits. It was touch and go in spots, particularly at the Texas-themed bar and grill last night, but getting on this flight has made for a brighter day. Heck, this is just a trial-run for our trip to Italy/Sicily next month! NEXT MONTH!!!! You 'da girl, Kiddo!

Looks like we're in the descent to MLI. I wonder if my checked-bag made this connection as well? Maybe more later. Thanks for reading.

BCOT

Posted using BlogPress from my iPa

No comments: