Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday

This comes to you from a traditional LtPC favorite spot: a hotel lobby. We're staying in a nice Hampton Inn in Sonoma wine country. We have one more day to sample the local offerings before heading back to the Real World tomorrow.
For the Facebook crowd, the girls have published some pics from the trip and our various activities. I'll add a few here as well. I've also taken a lot with my minidigi, but don't have the download capability to get those shots on the computer. Stay tuned for a later airing of those shots.























I was delighted to get in three bike rides in our all-too-short visit to Lake Tahoe. Prior to last Wednesday, I hadn't had cycling on my dance-card for this trip. But things kind of came together when I was doing my final planning, and then materialized when a friend called me out at Roy's birthday dinner Wednesday night. My pal Brian basically said to get out the pocket book and not let price stand in the way of something important to me that was there for the taking. Good advice.

One of the best parts of the biking story is that by taking my cycling gear, I had to go up to the next size in my luggage options...which was the same bag that I had used for 07282012...that included in a side-pocket the receipt for last year's bike rental...that essentially gave me a big discount for this rental contract. The moon and stars really had lined up for me.

Tip-of-the-hat to Tahoe Phil and Nana Jan. Great visit on Cristina Lane in Incline Village. #FFFTahoe2014 is the new family hashtag.

1 and 2 do get Daughter of The Day designations for their work yesterday in the Water to Wine Half Marathon in Healdsburg. 1 had a PR and 2 did several minutes better than her forecast. Way to go, ladies!! (4 brought 2 in with a nice pace for the last three miles. It was the right amount for 4 as she has that hip-pointer that has limited her training.)

The wine-tasting tour kicked off yesterday with a formal event at the Jordan Winery. The Jordan Cabernet has been a personal favorite for a long time, and the tour did not disappoint. We resisted any urge to purchase, and I'd say that we actually get better pricing back home at Hy Vee. It was interesting to note that the tour guide stated that they have only the single grade of Cabernet...that they don't stair-step up/down based on the vineyard or processing differences. Their current release is the 2009 vintage. Therefore, if you're buying a Jordan 2011 vintage at some package store, look closely at the label!!!

Healdsburg is a very nice little town and worthy of a visit. (Although, prepare yourself...it is not a direct route from anywhere!) Lots of wine rooms, restaurants and shops. For you Midwesterners, think Galena, Illinois or Stillwater, Minnesota. We sat outside for a bottle at one place, and then ate dinner at another place in their outdoor area. This may be a wine-snobby area, but I never felt like we were being "up sold" by anyone. Usually, they would try to get a feel for our budget and taste, and respond accordingly. Good stuff.

All for today. Maybe some other pics as the wine tour continues!

Make it a good week in your neighborhood.

BCOT



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: