Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday

So the heat is still on here. Mid 90's or so. I'm sure that we were over 100 with the heat-index. But it is surprisingly ok both in the early morning and in the latter part of the evening. I'm starting this entry while sitting on the Maplecrest driveway, just before 2000 hours, and am very comfortable.

The countdown clock to Italy tripped over the three week mark today. Scary soon.

There was a good story in cycling this week from the Vuelta a Espana. Chris Horner, a 41 year old American, won the 3rd stage on Monday, and also grabbed the leader's jersey.


He became the oldest rider to ever wear the leader's jersey for one of the Grand Tours. Horner has had some modest success over the years internationally, and has been a strong domestique on several TdF squads. He has never been caught up in the drug culture (to my knowledge). He has always been a good interview, and has been a very committed rider. Good story. (He lost the leader's jersey today by 3 seconds, but he remains in 2nd place and looks like he may hang with the leaders all week, if not longer.)

A comment that Horner made after his stage win is on point for anyone who honestly admits that they waste away too much time. He said that he rides each race each day like it might be his LAST race. He is 41 years old, and Rule #1 applies. An accident could easily end his career. As my not-so-favorite country singer Tim McGraw would say, "Live like you were dyin'."


So, no, I happened to miss the VMA's on Sunday night. I'm not sure why the pundits are all twisted with the questionable behavior of the entertainers. I mean, hasn't it just been a contest over the years as to whom can outrageous whom? I know I sound like the old man that I am, but these antics don't interest me. What is the "art" part of this theater?

Get ready for politics to jump back on to the front pages next week when the Congress comes back in session. The leaders of the different camps are already marking territory with appearances on the various networks, and throwing verbal grenades at the uncompromising other side. For the viewer, the key element in this debate is the TV remote "mute" button. Add Syria and Egypt to the discussion, and it's no wonder that the market is heading South.

I was on-scene of a tragedy-averted one evening last week on River Drive between Bettendorf and Davenport. I can't remember exactly the time, but I think after 5 PM when there was quite a bit of traffic, but not bumper-to-bumper. I was headed West, in the left lane of the two lanes headed West, following, but not within a couple hundred feet or so, of a small-ish sedan ( a Hyundai or the like). All of a sudden, that small sedan is clear over in the far


left lane of the East-bound side of the road!! I'm stunned. I'm yelling out loud, "Hey, Hey, You!!!!" Fortunately, there were no on-coming cars at that precise time. And the driver must have looked up, and recovered back to our lane. Had to have been texting. And the same sedan had at least one more "wobble" in to the East-bound lane again before I turned off at the Village. Absolutely scary stuff. Take heed, folks. The message ain't worth it.

No Geneva tomorrow. I'm guessing that there will be plenty of space on the course given the heat forecast. Maybe a cold one with @bcbison on the deck at Gov's. It's a lot shorter trip home!

4 begins her work week in the morning. Be a star, Kiddo.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: