Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday

The Friday kicking off a holiday weekend is almost always a slow day at the office and in the markets.  Those who haven't taken the day off are clock-watching, and traders tend to get their work done early and settle-up so that the afternoon is a non-event.  Let's hope that's what we have in store for today.

@bcbison is Pal of the Day for providing the draft home on the morning ride.

My pal Roy gets props as my host for a toasty round at Crow Valley Golf Club yesterday afternoon.  I hadn't played there for at least a couple of years.  Great course still.  We did play from the White tees, which may have been a first for me.  That shortens the yardage up, usually 20 yards or so on most holes, which makes the experience much less stressful for me.  I actually had drives in areas where I don't recall having ever been...distance-wise.  At this point in my golfing career, I'm very OK with a shorter course.

Bear with me on this item.  I heard on the news yesterday morning that one of my favorite actresses, Rebecca DeMornay had a birthday...54.  I had always thought that she was pretty, going back to Risky Business with Tom Cruise.  I knew that had to be in the early 80's, and I confirmed that it would have been 1983.  Which means that she would have been 24 in that movie.

And I also remember her as the sinister character, Lady Sabine, in The Three Musketeers remake in the 90's.  Which I looked up to confirm was released in 1993.  She was the one who hurled herself off the cliff toward the end of the flick when confronted by Kiefer Sutherland's Musketeer (Athos).

Then she had a small role at the start of Wedding Crashers as the wife whom Owen Wilson's and Vince Vaughn's attorney characters were trying to reconcile with her estranged husband in that conference room scene.  That was 2005.

Her filmography shows that she has done some stuff since Wedding Crashers...but I didn't recognize anything.  Of course, the number of movies that I have been to in the last 8 years could be counted on one hand.  Whatever.  But she seems to have had a career that has run for 25-30 years.  That's got to be a success, yes?  I wonder if she was able to save some money and not have to worry too much about finances these days.  So many entertainers (and athlete-entertainers) have trouble holding on to their money.

I can't name a 24 year old actress today.  I even tried to do an Internet search.  On a non-gender-bias basis, I can't name a 24 year old actor either.  Is there any further evidence required to establish my disconnect from today's pop culture?

Football started last night, and world didn't lose it's orbit.  I did not partake in any viewing of the games.  It just doesn't seem like football weather when they're predicting 100+ degree heat indexes.

All for now.  Make it a Good Friday in your neighborhood.

BCOT

No comments: