Friday, March 01, 2013

Friday

I'm elated to flip the calendar page to March!  I'm not saying that I'm playing the Glad Game card this morning, but I'm very happy to move on from what was for me a lost month of February. 

Seventeen days to the simultaneous celebration of Selection Sunday and St. Patty's Day.  Conference tourney's before then.  The PGA and NASCAR are both in full swing.  The Grapefruit and Cactus leagues have the American game in motion.  What a great month ahead!

After getting The Winniferous back to Highland Avenue last night, I settled onto my couch and found nothing of interest on any of my regular channels.  Cruising through the second tier, I came across the start of The Graduate on one of the old movies stations.  This was a movie that came out in 1967 (I had to look up that factoid), and was a huge hit in the male-college-student demographic at that time.  If that wasn't the first movie that I saw in South Bend, it wasn't far from the top of the list.

I did some checking of the ages of the actors/actresses in that flick and found it interesting that Dustin Hoffman was actually 30 at that time (playing in the movie a 21 year-old recent college graduate).  Playing the role of the sexually-adventurous older woman (Mrs. Robinson) was Anne Bancroft, who Wiki points out was only seven years older than Hoffman at that time.  Boy, I would have lost the age-difference bet on that one!  The make-up folks definitely used their craft to give an impression of at least a twenty-year difference in my mind. 

The new knowledge of Anne Bancroft's actual age at that time is humbling evidence that the LT is really old.  I would have been 37 in January of 1986. 4 wasn't even born then.  I'm sure that I thought people who were in their sixties then were nursing-home ready.  I've met the future, and he is me.

(The Hoffman-Bancroft age thing made me curious and I couldn't resist the urge to look up some data on another 1970's movie...1973 specifically...portraying a May-December romance. 40 Carats was I'm sure a low-budget screen adaptation of a light and very predictable Broadway production with the attractive Liv Ullman starring in the movie as the older woman.  (Times haven't changed much: dating back then had guys making chick-flick concessions as well.)  Turns out that she was only 35 then, playing a 40 year-old.  Don't trust Hollywood.  Shock.)

So Rome offically needs a new leader today.  Isn't this something that the Big O could do from the golf cart?  Or maybe Tom Hanks from his trailer between takes?  Send the US Senate over to the Vatican...permanently...and let the non-action begin.

Make it a Good Friday.

BCOT

No comments: