Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Wednesday...UPDATED

Sight seeing at Tahoe.  Including this view upstream of the Truckee River as it passes through the tourist-trap-ish Truckee, California.  We coulda taken I-80 and headed East...for a few days!  And a good one of 2 with the river heading down stream.

The we did a quick trip over to Squaw Valley.  But elected not to walk up the mountain!

Now over to South Shore for a Wally beer.

Definitely more here later.

Now Later...

The trip to South Shore/Stateline was a success.  Its a little further to get there than I remember.  I've ridden my bike past Sand Harbor over to the freeway several times, but it seems to have more turns and segments than I recall.  Whatever. 

Marriott Corporation (or its partners) spent some serious dinero to take down the junky tourist shops that used to line the main drag (at least on one side of the street), and now you have the nuevo chic places selling designer-everything to the fat-walleted gringos.  They had the Heavenly Valley Ski Resort folks drop a 4-6 person gondola lift down to the middle of the outdoor mall, and you have a serious presentation for the 1-percenters.  Again, whatever.

It is worth noting that another ambitious development on the other side of the street remains a hole in the ground inside the security fencing, with unfinished pilings making testimony that economics matter.  I'm sure that there is a story behind that failed endeavor.

We did get nice seating on the patio at the Embassy Suites for recognition to my pal Wally.  The gentleman at the adjoining table graciously agreed to be our photographer.  (He and his wife chatted us up some and gave up that they ran a pizza place in Chicago!  Nice folks.)  Hard to believe that it has been close to twenty years since Wally and I enjoyed that last evening together at the same venue.  (Had to add this pic of me and 1.02 that appeared on Twitter earlier.  Handome guys, eh?)

I unconsciously started doing the math today and my mind has activated the countdown clock to our return to the Central time zone.  Basically, two more days before the Reality Clock chimes midnight.  Bummer!  The weather here has been super.  But I do miss my own bed, and there is a little bit of me that is ready for golf!  And I'm guessing that my Perfect Neighbor's garden is coming in...can you say, "fresh tomatoes?"

Another key question: did my RCL show today to prepare Maplecrest for my return?  Hmmm.  That would be a bonus.

Glad to see Patrick in the Peanut Gallery.  He belongs.  And yes, that is RevKev standing in his beach shelter/tent that sits on Sand Harbor beach in the current Home Page pic.  Does he need a publication release?

Make Thursday a good one.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

1 comment:

Patrick said...

If the peanut gallery is synonymous with the nuthouse, I agree that I belong.