Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tuesday

I bought  the print edition of The Des Moines Register this AM to read the reviews of the politician's visits yesterday to the Iowa State Fair.  No real insights came across to me from the articles in the paper.  It looked like the events were all pretty well pre-programmed, and the only "news" was the efforts of some protesters to disrupt some of the speeches.  Ho-hum.

My memories of the State Fair are limited.  To my recollection, we never went to Des Moines for the fair as a family, attending the Wapello county fair for several days as the alternative.  Practically, the county fair in Eldon, Iowa was within just a half hour of driving time from the farm, so the regular chores at home could be done and lots of time could be spent at the fair without major planning to get the milking done.  The cost of the county fair was pretty cheap, I'm sure, and Daddy must have received some "passes" at the office to further mitigate our cash out-flow.

One clear memory that I have of the State Fair is driving there with my high school girl friend and losing twenty dollars or so (a huge amount to me at the time!) to a midway scam artist on some roulette game.  That may have been the event that cured me of any gambling interest in my life.  Then, a few years later, grad school time frame, @srh4 and I went to the fair to see Olivia Newton John on the grandstand stage.  She was a hot commodity then, following her Grease role with a number of country hits.

I see where the new Bourne movie did ok at the box office last weekend.  Its extremely unlikely that I will go to the theater to see it.  Heck, I don't have the attention-span to watch a movie on my couch.  There have been several actors do James Bond, Superman, Robin Hood, and Batman over the years.  Does Bourne have the legs to do a franchise without Matt Damon?

My Top Ten Adjustments to make after coming down from the #07282012 mountain top, not necessarily in order of importance:

1.  Still a month of Summer to get through.
2.  That two-hour time change has me waking up at 0600 local, not 0500.
3.  Work is back as the #1 priority.
4.  I have to look up every password for my business software's.
5.  Not going to Raley's twice a day.
6.  Delta not sending daily emails on itinerary changes.
7.  Fewer random nose bleeds from atmospheric dryness.  A big plus!
8.  Creating new excuses/rationalizations to not get on the bike.
9.  Matching receipts with my credit card bills.  Ouch!
10. No Mickey, George, etc DVD's.  Missing 1.01 and 1.02.

Our Fit Club end-of-season awards function is tonight.  Attendance may be spotty do to scheduling conflicts, but it was going to have to be tonight or never. 

Maybe more later.  Make Tuesday a good one.

BCOT








No comments: