Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday

I finally feel like I may be getting back to some stability in my daily routines.  Each of the last couple of days I've awakened before 0530 feeling reasonably rested and ready to get going.  Cooler nights help. I'm sure.  But I think that the vestiges of the Tahoe sleeping habits/time difference have finally diminished, and my Old Normal has come to the surface.  I'm not waking up and thinking that I need to do an early ride, but just being ready to face the day is a welcome progression.

A year ago today, 4 and I were just back from Europe.  She and I have traded a few texts about the passage of the last year, and all that she has gone through since that trip.  Lots of water under her bridge.  And some great personal successes.  Truly a case of two steps forward for each step back to adjust to new challenges.

One of the celebrity birthday's listed in the paper this AM was singer Kenny Rogers.  He's now 74.  Back in the late 70's and early 80's, Kenny Rogers was about as hot as anyone can get in any music genre.  Hie song, The Gambler, remains a classic that is aired regularly on country radio stations today.  His music history is interesting, as he had some significant success before his solo career.  I knew that he was the lead of The First Edition group, but I hadn't recalled that he was in The New Christy Minstrels, a group that I think played ND, way back when. But I digress.

The thought that I had when I saw this birthday in the paper was that this was another case of a career that has spanned my own professional career.  In the entertainment business, music, movies, TV, etc., 30 years of success is rare.  I'm sure that the life-span of new acts today is shortened by the new media outlets/devices where what is new becomes old quickly.  But Kenny Rogers had some vocal and instrumental talents that made him more than just another voice.  And he played the game well.

More later.

BCOT

No comments: