Monday, August 06, 2012

Monday

I had expectations of getting on here yesterday, but golf got in the way and I just got gassed by the evening.  I wouldn't call it jet-lag, but the body definitely has some adjusting to do from two weeks on the road.  The regular bed is a bonus.

For those of you not on Twitter, here is a pic of the "Bronco Buster" sculpture, currently on display in my office.  Actual size is probably 15" tall, and weight of 25 pounds or so.  Its a beauty!  I'm uncertain if it will remain at the office.  I may engage 2 to evaluate whether it "fits" in my house.  With "Mountain Man" already on Maplecrest, there just may not be enough room there to accommodate both pieces.

The sculpture was delivered to 2 at the museum prior to our departure for Tahoe.  Not a small box.  Lots of industrial-strength bubble-wrap.  I'm guessing that the art shop has had some experience in shipping these types of items.  Mission accomplished.

Just for yucks, I'm tossing out a Top Ten list from the Tahoe trip.  We all recognize that the wedding and reception were items 1 and 1A for any such list, but here;s a few other relevant memories from my perspective, not necessarily in order of importance, of course:

1.  2's bloody nose as she lined up to walk the aisle.
2.  The Total Wine store in Reno.  A must-stop on any future visit to Incline!
3.  The last Thursday night Wally Toast at the Embassy Suites in Stateline.
4.  4 making her 20 minute connection in Dallas to get to Reno on the 23rd.
5.  Flipping burgers at Sand Harbor in front of Iowa Pork Producer, Uncle Jeff.  It took me a while to figure out the math.  And I turned over the flipper immediately!
6.  Riding Mt. Rose from Reno for the last time.  With my pal Pete.
7.  The Costco experience with 3 and Herky (now 3.1).
8.  1.02's smile.  1.01's  walks to the waterfall!
9.  Early coffee at Starbucks with Tahoe Phil (any day when he could make it!).
10. The most real glass wine glasses in any rental house ever!

I'm sure that we could do a new list everyday for a week.  Lots of great memories.

Here's what I saw in my back yard when I headed out for coffee on Sunday morning.  The little pear tree that I planted near my deck a few years back was a casualty of the storm that came through here Saturday afternoon.  It wasn't the healthiest tree, and some rot at the base showed some wear.  My PN cut it up today, and it is now in a few bundled-piles at the curb.  No real property damage.  No insurance.  The cost of life.

In other news, for all you NASCAR fans, the 24 stole a win yesterday in Pennsylvania.  There was a restart with the 24 in about 5th or 6th, the leaders got sideways, the second row let up to avoid the carnage, and Jeff dove to the apron to the lead.  Immediately after this incident, even before all the cars got through the mess, the caution flag came out, fixing the positions, the rain came in a downpour, and they called the race as final.  One could say that the seas parted, and the 24 waltzed through.  A win is a win is a win.

In golf, veteran Jim Furyk lead for 71 holes, then butchered every shot on the 18th on Sunday, and lost by one to a guy who played lights out that day.  Brutal to watch.  Furyk's four-foot bogey putt to salvage a tie and to force a play-off didn't enter the area-code of the cup.  Ugh.  Makes a humble golfer like me take heart.  A wise man said, "Remember, when you say that you just hit the worst shot of your life, it isn't (or won't be)."

Happy Tax Birthday to my pal Roy.  No firm plans for a celebration tomorrow, but we may do something on Wednesday.  Golf may be involved.

All for tonight.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: