Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday

So Iowa native Zack Johnson of Cedar Rapids came from a few shots off the pace today and won the John Deere Classic.  He has been a favorite of the local crowds over the years, and if Stricker couldn't pull out a fourth straight win, then I'm sure Zack's trip to the winner's circle is a popular result. 

20 Under (my prediction early last week) was the score that put Zack and another guy into a sudden death play-off.  Both managed to double-bogey (ouch!) the first extra hole, forcing a second one.  Johnson proceeded to hit an All-World shot out of a fairway bunker almost 200 yards from the hole to less than a foot from the pin.  The other guy missed from 20+ feet, so Zack won the trophy...and the cash!  Good story.

A noteworthy factoid from the golf tournament:  the John Deere Classic has the distinction of being the top tournament on the PGA schedule for generating the most charitable contributions to the host community.  A professional acquaintance of mine started the concept 10-15 years ago of "Birdies for Charity" that has become a template for other tournaments to raise funds for local not-for-profit organizations.

In other golf news, my effort to get to a 12 handicap yet this Summer is making progress.  I'm officially down to a 17.  My rounds yesterday and today (83 and 84) may be good enough to take the handy down one more notch.  (My net betting results with my pals may actually have been positive for the weekend as well.  Bonus!)  If I get in another good score before Tahoe, it will definitely be a 16.  And I'll only get the chance to play once this week.

The downside of two rounds of golf over the weekend is a stiff back.  Fit Club has definitely helped my flexibility, but I don't think that I'll ever do consecutive days real well.  Another negative...no bike ride up to the Sunrise Cafe this morning.  That really cuts into my target mileage for the week.  Bummer.

2 had her last big party before Tahoe at The Figge on Friday night.  The museum is hosting an exhibition on NASA art for the next couple of months and they had a kick-off party for members on Friday.  In deference to her wishes, I won't publish he pic in Star Trek uniform.  Beam her up, Scotty!

My goal this week is to knock out a few Tahoe planning items each day.  The reality is that once I get my wedding suit and my bike stuff packed, almost everything else is buy-able at Target.  But I do need to have the office reasonably under control so that I can head-off any major issues that aren't solvable over the phone or by email.  The IRS comes to mind.  While clients are almost all on the Internet, the IRS doesn't accept correspondence by email.  Those open cases on my docket need a two-week-hiatus-notice sent to the affected agents.  If you tell them in advance that you won't be on the grid for a couple of weeks, it's almost never a problem.
 
To get the Tahoe march underway, let's make 3 Daughter of the Day.  I think that @srh4 has a few more of these picked out for the reception.  This is one of my fav's.  Good luck with your last week of prep in The Big Apple, Kiddo!

My previously announced 60 month plan is officially my 57-month plan as of today.

Good luck to all for a successful week.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT



No comments: