Monday, July 09, 2012

Monday

The world has been moving pretty fast for me again.  That holiday in the middle of the week last week made the schedule discombobulated for lots of folks.  Then I left at noon on Friday for Harvest Path.  I'm still trying to get back to neutral.

Here's a nice pic of the Dornies right before I took off for Iowa yesterday morning.  1.01 was little annoyed after our muffin at the coffee shop.  1.02 wants his share of everything.  1.1's days of refereeing are actually just getting started.

I hope that I'm not getting ahead of the curve, but there seems to be some relief from the heat in our current and forecasted weather.  Most of the charts have our highs in the mid 80's most of the next week, with nighttime lows in the mid-to-upper 60's.  My pal Ron said that the temp for golf on Saturday in Muskie was 104!  Anyway, the Sand Harbor shot for the Home Page is timely.  Less than two weeks to Tahoe!

The PGA event is here in the Quad Cities this weekend.  The John Deere Classic.  The course is a relatively new TPC venue called Deere Run carved out of the hills of a Deere family farm on the Illinois side running along the Rock River.  I've played it a few times.  Hard for the Average Joe, but the pro's eat it for lunch.  Look for the winner to be 18-20 under par.  Steve Stricker will be trying to win it for the fourth time in a row.  That's almost Tiger-esque.  I've turned down tickets from several sources.  I don't like to fight the crowds to drink $7 beers.

(Speaking of deer running, @bcbison hit the brakes hard one morning last week while we were cooking down a hill on the early morning ride when a deer jumped out from the brush to cross the road in front of us.  I was lucky to have been just far enough off his wheel to see him slow and react accordingly.  The deer was startled too, and high-tailed it back to the woods.  We see deer about 1/3 of the time on the early ride and/or the DeWitt ride.  They probably need to thin the local herd.)

In the world of sports-drug news, 1) a NASCAR driver for Penske Racing (AJ Allmendinger) was suspended shortly before Saturday night's race after a positive drug test earlier in the week. Hmmm.  NASCAR doesn't mess around with this stuff.  So Dinger could be done for the year, if not longer if he elects to have the "B" sample tested and it too is positive.  2) Lance's lawyer's tried a BS move this AM that a Texas judge immediately tossed out this afternoon as BS.  He be in trouble, folks.  And 3) US soccer goaly (and DWTS veteran) Hope Solo tested positive for a banned substance...and got a minor slap on the wrists.

We just had a nice shower here at the office.  And my car (the Buick) windows were open.  Suite.  (More rain like this will push the winning score at the golf tourney South of -20.) 

This could be our first rain-out of Fit Club!

MLB's Home Run Derby is tonight as part of the All Star game in KC.  Can't say that I have much interest.  Same goes for the game tomorrow night.  I mean, I just don't follow the game enough to identify the players.  The game is meaningless.  And the commissioner's decision a few years ago to give the home field advantage to the winner of this game is as bad as the DH.  Not that I'm an Old School guy or anything.

I'm struggling a bit without an administrative assistant here at work.  Doing a UPS envelope is an exercise for me.  Funny that someone who has been around the block as many times as I have has to go back to grade school to literally get things out the door.  Good thing that Summer is a naturally slow time of year.  It ain't gonna be easy.

Rain is done.  May catch up here a little late on.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT