Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednesday

Apple's profits again exceeded the Street's estimates.  Shares had sold off over the last couple of weeks in anticipation of lower than stellar quarterly results.  But the analysts got it wrong and AAPL is up almost 10% today, still below the all time high, but over double its value in the last year.  How high is up?

I made the critical oversight of leaving the flag on the pole last night.  After I brought the brats inside, I never got back out nor remembered to lower the flag.  I need to develop a system to check that task before I hit the hay each night.  Maybe Siri on the iPhone is the answer!

I couldn't help but read this story in the local fish wrap this AM.   A couple of gals have opened a new coffee shop along the main drag in central Davenport, going with the Hooter's approach that, "sex sells".  I'm pretty sure that a stop at this place will not be in my near future, but I give the owner/operators props for making the effort. They do have Central High School and Palmer College within walking distance, although I think that this is a drive-through concept.  Whatever.  My guess is that they'll get a little press for now, and then face the difficult task of building a big enough clientele in an industry that is not very kind to the thinly capitalized.

The Big O continues to mine the low-hanging fruit.  Let's go to Iowa City and press the flesh with the non-politically-aligned folks in the Heart of America and talk about easing the student loan bubble.  You betcha.  Like IC isn't the most liberal town between Madison and Boulder. 

Here's a Top Ten list of just some of the things that are wrong with D-I college football and basketball:

1.  One and Done in bball is a joke.  Do those guys even pretend to go to class after Christmas?
2.  High school seniors' press conference announcements of college selection.  Thank you ESPN.
3.  The BCS lottery.  And its not about the money?
4.  A coach leaving one "dream job" for his Real Dream Job.  Really.
5.  Multiple uniforms.  No marketing money involved at all.
6.  Camera shots of "Mom" in the stands.  Sorry.  I could care less about Mom.
7.  Failed drug tests, felonies and other such "learning experiences".  And the perpetrator still being on the team come game time.
8.  Football games in August.
9.  Basketball games in domes.
10. Conference realignment.  It's not about the money.  Right.

OK.  I'm off to mow my yard.  Good luck on the rest of the week.  I'll be adding to the blog from Chicago over the next couple of days.

BCOT








No comments: