Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday

Well, that was exciting.  Or not.

Tax-filing deadline days always seem to have a theme.  This one was dominated by numerous high-income clients with significant balances due...and incomplete information on major issues occurring during 2011.  The final straw was a situation with an out-of-state client whose Chief Financial Officer experienced a brain aneurysm last week before she and I had had any communication about extension calculations.  I had emailed her over the weekend with no response and had wondered if she had finally elected to use a local tax guy.  The client, an accounting clerk and I spliced together some numbers and sent in some cash.  What a mess.

The word from The Big Apple is that 4 has found a sublet arrangement for the next couple of months or so.  This gets her off the couch at 3's, and gives her a little privacy.  The location is about a half-hour bus ride(?) up the same street as 3 and Herky's apartment.  Two other girls whose third roommate will be out of town for a while.  From Twitter traffic, she has keys as I write this.  Good luck, Kiddo!

Lots of pics on the Web today of the space shuttle Discovery being transported to DC for permanent display as a Smithsonian exhibit.  They must have made several loops around town to get as many different shots of the piggyback ride.  It might be worth an afternoon to check it out the next time I'm in DC.

Also in DC yesterday, NASCAR made it's annual appearance on the South Lawn.  Tony Stewart, last year's champion, and the 11 other drivers from The Chase were given a White House reception.  The Big O is a politician at heart, and getting to mug-it-up with the good 'ol boys from the track has photo-op written all over it.

I ran into my RCL this morning for the first time in months.  I had circled back to Maplecrest after 1st Coffee to complete some laundry before her normal arrival, and she came while I was still there.  Turns out that I was correct, that a substitute RCL had been in a couple of times recently (after the regular gal had come back from her trip to the Old Country).  The sub doesn't quite have the detail skills as The Real Deal.  Regardless, the place really stays a lot cleaner with weekly visits.  Even The Winniferous wasn't able to trash it out that bad during her stay last week.

ND's Blue-Gold Spring game is this weekend in South Bend.  Does football season ever end?  Years and years ago, I think that the Spring Game was between the current squad and alumni guys who would come back and suit-up.  I'm sure that the insurance costs for that kind of stuff went off the charts.  And who wants to get injured playing a meaningless game?  They do have a flag football game beforehand for alumni players.  I bet that's exciting.

The Iowa Spring "game" was last weekend.  I think that it's basically an open-to-the-public practice.  Lots of holes to fill in IC.  From the history books, I made a bit of a stir when I was in IC for grad school, went to the Spring game and ended up writing a critical letter to The Des Moines Register.  I complained about the actions of an assistant coach who loudly cursed and vigorously shook the face-mask of a running back who had fumbled on a rushing play.  My letter produced two or three subsequent responses that were also published in the paper (long before Internet Comments!).  And I ended up getting a call from the subject coach.  I don't recall any of that conversation, and I don't think things have changed much in football.  See also: New Orleans Saints.

I guess I did see a bit of history last month.  It just came across the wire that Pat Summitt will indeed step down as head coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols.  Her last official game as coach would have been that regional final loss to Baylor in Des Moines last month that I went to with my pal Doug.  While her results in recent years have not been so great, she had quite a run.  I was never a big fan, but I don't think that she worried an ounce about what others thought.  It was a Lombardy-esque approach, "Win Baby, win!"

Hope to get out for a ride today and get back in the swing of a regular life.  More here tomorrow.

BCOT

No comments: