Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday

I'm posting this from the office before heading home for the evening.  I've sent the laptop North with @srh4 for the week, so I'll have to to do my entries from here.  The last week before April 15th has never been prime blog-time anyway.

This is another year where the tax-filing date has been extended an extra day because of the Emancipation Day holiday in the District of Columbia.  While the filing date is normally on the Monday following a weekend 15th day, DC's Emancipation Day is April 16th, and we all know the government workers in DC need another formal holiday.  Whatever.

Actually, Emancipation Day sounds a little racist.  I'm guessing that someone will come up with a less-offensive name like, say, Civic Appreciation Day.

My week with The Winniferous was everything that I expected it to be.  I thought to myself different times how taking care of The W was not unlike taking care of the dairy cows on the farm.  They're animals that don't know anything about a calendar.  They just do their stuff, day after day.  No holidays.  No vacations.  I know that she's a great companion for 2, but I'll stick with my hermit-tude.

The storms from the plains didn't quite get this far.  Some lightening and thunder, and periods of heavy rain, but no damage.  My sump pump popped on several times during the night.  We needed the rain.  I snuck in a lawn-mowing before the front came in last night, so I'm guessing that I'll have to mow again Wednesday.

I mentioned this on Twitter last week:  the local country radio station's play-list is short, and very repetitive.  In my trips to and from the office, runs back and forth for 2nd coffee or lunch, or doing other in-town travel, I'm not in the car all that long for any one segment.  But invariably, on the round-trip, a song by Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts or Kieth Urban will hit the airwaves.  I automatically turn the station if Rascal or Urban come on; their pop-ish-ness I just can't take.  I just complain when it's Taylor because she's not so much annoying as just that her range is so narrow.

Actually, there's been a little back-lash in country music after that last awards show a couple weeks ago when clown-in-residence Aston Kutcher gave a little diddy of a country song when he was on stage to present an award.  Whether he was serious, or mockingly non-serious is debatable.  Traditionalists also wonder what the band Kiss is doing on-stage at a country music awards show.   Kutcher and other Hollywood types are invited to show up to try to bring eye-balls to the tube, I guess.

I think that this photo from the new Three Stooges movie is another example of Hollywood's free rein at lampooning traditional Christianity for a yuck.  Hey, I have a pulse: I like Kate Upton in a bikini.  But try to run that scene with an equally-revealing burqa on a Muslim female and watch the outbreak of political correctness.  I'd guess that kind of disrespect would probably even bring a White House admonition.

3 did a 5K this morning in Beantown with some of her friends from there.  I think that this was a charity race run in conjunction with the Boston Marathon which will be held tomorrow (Patriots' Day in Massachusetts).  I'm giving her Daughter of the Day for making the effort and fighting the train travel to do so.  You go, girl!

I'm not sure if the Peanut Gallery has put the math together that the picture-sharing service used by 2 on Twitter is Instagram.  That's the company that Facebook has committed to buy for $1 billion!!  A company that a couple of Stanford MBA's started less than two years ago.  I don't think that they even have any income at this point.  It's all on the come.  Wow!  Shades of the Tech Bubble, eh?

I would be remiss if I didn't at least acknowledge that today is April 15th, a day that has historically been a huge focal point in my professional career.  Times have changed over the years, and the date actually is of less literal importance these days, but it is a reminder of a big piece of my adult life.  Lots of headaches.  Lots of late nights.  Stress.  Complications.  Mistakes.  Over night deliveries to out of town clients.  Not sure that my efforts added a lot to the nation's GNP.  Shuffling shekels.

But those April 15th parties in C-town were always a blast.!

Thanks for reading.   Have a good week.

BCOT

No comments: