Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thursday...UPDATED

I'm starting this entry during the last session of the day at my conference in downtown C-town.  This particular presenter is speaking about the problems of structuring a retiree's portfolio.  Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to that problem.  Its a risky business.

This Sheraton is located right along the Chicago River on the lakeside of Michigan Avenue.  A very high end place.  I'll check out the wine prices in the lobby bar later.

Across the river (and not in this view) are several other hotels and commercial buildings that have factored into my professional career.  The Hyatt Regency is the place that Arthur Anderson put us up in for my original interview in 1976.  I've been to meetings at the Sofitel as well as the Hyatt, and there's a Fairmont that has had some things too.  Kind of surreal to keep coming to the same places over the course of 35 years or so.

******I've have picked up on this entry after five back at my hotel.  When I pulled that pic above off of the net, Blogger did a hiccup, and three paragraphs or so couldn't be saved.  Bummer.******

I was commenting on the new technology being employed by this conference to monitor attendance at the various sessions.  Historically, these types of conferences would have a variety of sign-in procedures to maintain some integrity to the actual attendance at the breakout sessions.  Continuing education credits for CPA's, attorney's and some other regulated designations can be a significant benefit to attendees, so the sponsors go to some efforts to comply with the demands of the regulators.

This is the first time, I think, that a conference that I have attended has used an electronic bar code system for this process.  Your name badge has your personalized bar code, and at the end of each session, a monitor person with an electronic reader, scans your badge as you leave the room.

The question really becomes, how far can this be taken?  My pal Tim, whose business times marathons and other road races. could probably set up a totally wireless, and automatic, system with a chip issued to each attendee and a few strategically placed tracking mats.  How long will it be before your iPhone can be used for all of these monitoring requirements?  Its all do-able.  Its just a matter of cost.

Another aside:  I am really struggling without the standard keyboard. I don't know if there is a defect in the built-in keyboard, but the cursor jumps around like a snow bunny.  Maybe my hands are too big.  #veryannoyingfact.

Hey to 3.  This room in Chicago is in a Club Quarters property.  Same outfit as I stayed in when I was in NYC last Fall.  About the same space too.  Small!!!

More here in a while.  I'm heading out for a tour.

Now Later....

I just got back from a walk down Michigan Avenue.  Chilly!  There's a game over at Sox park tonight.  Those folks are going to freeze!  Glad I had my running gloves in my jacket.

Yes, 4, C-town was the origin of Hilton Candy.  Suite!Actually, the hotel was in the western suburb of Downer's Grove.  Pretty much a Top Ten item on the list of family memories.

For the unaware, the reddish building to the left of the Watertower was the location of @srh's job when we lived in C-town.  I assume that it is still part of Loyola, but I don't know that for sure.  She usually took a bus from the Northwestern station where our train from the 'burbs came in on the West edge of  The Loop.

I'll be playing Passing Ships with 4 tomorrow.  She's flying into C-town in the late afternoon for a bachelorette party for her friend Meredith, and I'll be beating feet for Iowa, hopefully before the rush hour.  Boy, do I look forward to another hour on the Ike!

My guess is that I'll get back on for an entry during the conference tomorrow.  Make it a good TGIF!
BCOT

1 comment:

Kristen Charles said...

Uh, isn't Chi home to the original Hilton Candy?