Sunday, April 08, 2012

Sunday

Easter Sunday.  Beautiful day here at the Bend in the River. 

We enjoyed the visit of 3 and Herky who came through town for some wedding events, as well as Easter.  Provided that their flight from ORD makes it to the Big Apple with no problems, I'm thinking that you could say that their weekend travel was fairly uneventful.  This pic was taken here on Maplecrest just prior to their departure for the airport.

2 has started her au paire duties in Minnesota as 1 goes back to work for the rest of the school year.  2's absence creates some lifestyle changes for me as well.  My house guest for the week has begun to settle in to her surroundings.  Tomorrow will be the test as the work week this time of the year tends to be long.  The biggest positive for me is that it forces me to get out for exercise, whether I have the motivation or not.  And my motivation hasn't been that great after a string of 12-hour days.

There was another notable obituary for me in the paper this morning.  One of the two senior partners at the Davenport accounting firm that hired me when we moved to Iowa in 1980 passed away yesterday at age 71 after a battle with cancer.  While we were never friends, we never had any truly "bad blood" and I would make small talk with him over the years when we would meet in public.  He might fit the caricature image that you could associate with the green-eyeshade accountant.

He was a guy who always wore a suit to work, drove a full-sized Lincoln towncar, and I'm sure always got his timesheet in on schedule.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  It was a long and glowing obit.  Church, Little League and accounting memberships.  When my time comes, a Google search won't yield much material for the writer(s).

I was glad to see Bubba Watson win The Masters late this afternoon.  He's a humble guy with lots of game.  He's contended in big tournaments before.  He was in that playoff a year or two ago when Dustin Johnson was penalized for grounding his club in a hazard (that didn't look like a hazard), and that the German guy ended up winning.  Anyway, Tiger should take notice: this tournament did fine with Mr. Woods playing the role of Mr. Irrelevant on the weekend.  Boorish behavior by guys who finish their rounds before the leaders tee off wears thin on the patrons.

Blogger is acting funny again tonight.  I had to input that last paragraph three times.  Do they do their web-maintenance on Sunday night?  Maybe a different platform is in my future,

Props to 4 and Herky's sister Katelyn on their work designing, editing and coordinating the production of the family recipe book for 3 and Herky.  The finished product was delivered for the shower on Saturday, and was a big hit.  (That's exactly the kind of book I want to do with you, 4, on our trip last August!)

I made the choice to cancel my Gold's membership effective March 31st.  With 4 gone and 2 not going much, it was down to me and spin class.  Hmmm.  Early Spring.  Long hours at the office.  Loud spin Nazi's.  It was an easy choice.  The question will be come December and I need the organization of the indoor bikes.  I'll cover that choice when that time arrives.

My dentist's bill for the implant came in the Saturday mail.  Hello!  I'm actually going to have my dental insurance folks run me a report for my charges over the last couple of years.  Total cost for the implant is getting close to $4K.  Ouch.  The general dentist's charges look to be higher than the dental surgeon.  I need to raise my rates.

So another week of busy biz.  I'll try to add some blog-worthy thoughts a couple of times.  It's a bit of therapy to bang these keys.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: