Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday

Selection Sunday!!  One of the more important days on the calendar over the years.  The Commish has sent out the formal invite to the Clan's pool. 

Another warm day in River City.  I did get out for an outdoor ride this afternoon on the bike path.  Lots of runners and cyclists on the roads this morning, and quite a bit of pedestrian traffic on the bike path this afternoon.  I had to stop at the bike shop up the street at the start of my ride to get an adjustment to a brake cable that had rusted-up over the Winter.  Those cables need to be swapped-out before I get on road rides. 

I didn't make any effort to adjust to DST this AM.  I really don't mind the fact that they do the time change, but it usually takes me a couple of days to get my wake-up time back to 0545.  That extra light in the evening is not a bad thing, but I'm not really able to take advantage of it until later this month.  Mostly, I like the warmer weather.

The exercise getting 4 to NYC yesterday was a little more exciting than anyone had anticipated.  A Saturday morning had more folks on the road than I expected, and there were lines at check-in and at security.  Fortunately, the end result was that which was planned, including the checked-luggage making it all the way to LGA with her.  So step #1 on the Road to Her New World has been successfully completed.  We're all interested in news from The Big Apple over the next few days/weeks.  It would be nice if a blog sprouted.  Good luck, Kiddo. 

The sending-off of 4 to NYC reminded me of the day a few life-times ago when Tahoe Phil left the farm for California.  He had graduated from Creighton, and had come home a last time, I guess.  Anyway, I would have just completed eighth grade, and had my own life to worry about.  I remember him backing out of the driveway (in an old DeSoto or Packard), and Mother and I waving good-bye.  And then Mother crying.  That would have been close to 50 years ago!

@srh4, and 2 and I talked on the way back from the airport about notable departures in our fam.  4's trip to Espana came to mind...another MLI send-off...when luggage just never found her.  But @srh4 came up with the broasted-chicken-at-Midway-airport story...which pretty much renders all other send-offs to at least second place. 

While on my ride this afternoon, I spent some time wondering if 2012 was a new-bike year.  My recollection is that the first road bike was a 10-years-in-business gift from my pal Bill.  That was 1992.  And the current bike was acquired 10 years later when I had decided that I needed to get my gear-shifters on the brake levers rather on the down-tube.  And I'm pretty sure that I rationalized at the time that it had been 10 years since I had acquired that first bike.  So if 1992 was the first year, and the second bike was 10 years later, what does that make 2012?  Hmmm.  Maybe I'll look at the sales come Fall.  If there's any cash left after #07282012.

One of the things that I noticed on the bike this afternoon was that while you may not ever forget how to ride a bike, there's some danger in an out-of-practice sense.  Clip-in pedals mean that you have to be attentive to balance and turning, or you may meet Rule #1 in a hurry.  When you've done nothing but spin bikes for six months, it pays to take things slow for the first couple of outings.

Augie's biggest basketball rival, Illinois Wesleyan, who tied with Augie in league play, and received an at-large bid to the D-III tournament, won their regional and are headed to the D-III Final Four next weekend.  My pal Cal is a Wesleyan graduate.

Study those brackets!

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

49 years and counting. It was a Fluid Drive Desota that made it all the way to SLC before having to be repaired.

Tahow Phil