Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Wednesday

If the football teams can go to pink add-on's for October, 4000 Days can step up as well.  Personally, I think that the NFL goes a little overboard, but if they can auction off those items at charity events after their use in games, I say, goferit!

Pretty interesting MLB games in these play-offs.  Obviously, I'm a National League guy, so the StL-Philly series has most of my attention, but the Yankees and Tigers both have Old School managers which helps to off-set that DH thing.  The Cards need to win tonight to extend the series to a fifth game.  (And they're not off to a good start already!)  Where's Bob Gibson when you need him?

I caught just a little bit of TBS's pre-game show.  They had Cal Ripken, Dennis Eckersley and David Wells on the set, and I give them props for good commentary without jumping out of their shoes like those NFL pre-game guys have a tendency to do.  Is there anything that Ripken does that he doesn't do well?

I've figured out that another element of proof of LtPC fully deserving that capital "L" in the middle of my forehead is that I know in advance both soup options (which change daily) offered at lunch at the Kimberly Road Hy Vee salad bar. And there aren't that many strangers there when I go to sit down.  On the other hand, the cashiers/clerks don't know my name, at least.

The report on the Taurus is so-so.  The problem is not the water pump (which wasn't a bad guess for a CPA with no mechanical skills), but it was the A/C compressor.  Which makes sense in retrospect as there were times this Summer when the A/C pushed out nothing but hot air.  If they could have just by-passed the A/C, I would have done so, but the cost of the by-pass was going to be $400.  So the BEATER is sucking twice that out of my (non-debit-card) account, for continuation as the back-up car on Maplecrest.

Check-out that Twitter pic that I swapped out today.

One tidbit of the baseball game that illustrates the modern ballplayer's shallowness is the disappearance of the flip-down sunglasses formerly used by position players for day games.  There was a bit of science to the use of those very mechanical glasses, but they worked.  Today, the players wear their Oakley's or other statement-making fashion shades, and more balls are lost in the sun-fields.  I'm sure the players would argue the point, but appearances mean so much to today's athletes that a missed fly-ball here and there is an acceptable by-product of lookin' good.  Whatever.

Looks like the weather at Tahoe is not too dire.  But with snow in mid-May that forced cancellation of those stages of the Tour of California around the lake, and early October snow at elevation, I'm becoming a solid believer with Al in global warming.  I mean, we know that the ocean's are warming...because it's snowing more.  Hmmm.

More later.

BCOT




No comments: