Sunday, October 09, 2011

Sunday

My plans for an entry yesterday were way-laid by a detour for a late lunch and watching the Iowa game at Biaggi's.  Not a bad choice.  The game wasn't much to get excited about, but the food and wine made up for the lack of Hawkeye offense.  (I did have to train a young new bartender on the proper presentation and serving of a bottle of wine.)

Tough day/night for the Hawks and 'Clones.  But I'm sure that 2 reveled in the Oklahoma win over UT, and 4 may have taken a little pleasure in the Huskers coming back to beat Ohio State.  An Irish win over the USAFA comes with mixed feelings, particularly when the game is not that competitive.

I did a Twitter entry from Dunn Bros this morning on my phone, and it doesn't show on my desktop, nor as an update to Twitter here on the blog.  Hmmm.  I know that Mobile Twitter runs on different software than standard Twitter, but I thought that it was basically a timing thing.  Anyway, in follow-up to a previous entry, here's the Dunn Bros nod to Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Another technical fly-in-the-ointment:  when I save a pic to my desktop (or laptop, I think) from an emailed pic to my Yahoo account, and I rotate the pic before saving it, Blogger will not recognize the rotation even though it looks up-right in the My Pictures file.  When I add the pic to 4000 Days, Blogger will rotate the pic another 90 degrees for whatever reason.  I'll then have to go to My Pictures and re-save the pic to a sideways view and then let Blogger pull it to the entry with it's 90 degree move, so that the pic will actually appear correctly on the Blog!  Weird.  And with Steve Jobs now gone, we'll never know the answer!

I had to do the second DirecTV receiver conversion yesterday morning, this one being the one here at the office.  It was another case where the previous receiver's drop-dead date had passed, and the local channels were not showing up on this TV when I tried to dial them in for network football yesterday.  I had the replacement receiver on my floor, so it was just a matter of going through the hardware hook-up process, and then calling DirecTV to have them key-in the software recognition details for my equipment.  Again, the only hiccup was dumbing everything down, both hardware and software, to my museum-quality TV unit.

(My Twitter entry from 2nd coffee did post.  Gremlins.)

This Occupy Wall Street is moving past the annoying stage.  I get it.  The economy sucks.  Students who never did the math have these loans that, whoa, they're supposed to pay back?  Where'd that come from?  And they want answers from Washington?  Let's face it, if Nancy Pelosi and Jesse Jackson (and the NYT) are on your side, their solution is always more oversight and regulation to control those gosh-darn free-enterprise people.  Three quotations come to mind:

1.  We met the enemy, and he is us.
2.   Be careful what you wish for.

And the one that embodies the most fear for that half of our citizenry that actually pays income tax...

3.  I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

Actually, the NBA labor stalemate is essentially an illustration of the Occupy Wall Street mentality, albeit at a substantially higher rung on the food-chain.  Here, the oppressed are the poor players who have to play for chump-change, while the owners represent the greedy establishment. I have no confidence that the P & L statements published by the owners illustrating their dire plights are entirely accurate (and I believe anything out of Washington?), but I suspect that many of the teams are in fact losing money.  You wanna go see Sacramento play Golden State?  Where does Golden State even play?

Anyway, with the low being rookie salaries in the $300K range, the median for all players in the $2 million range, and the average at the $5+ million mark, the players' union arguing for their "fair share" rings a little hollow.  The many definitions of fair share.

BTW, I will not longer capitalize occupy wall street or give it hash recognition. 

OK.  Maybe a little bit more here this evening.

BCOT

No comments: