Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday

2 and I formally started our joint Turkey Trot training last night. And I survived. It will take some work, but I'm thinking that the one hour for completion as a goal time is still possible. Assuming that I remain injury-free.

Here's another fairly vacuous topic from my inventory of same: my new electric tooth brush. Now in theory, an electric tooth brush has got to be fairly high on that list of needless items in our culture. (Then again, what does an iPod contribute to the good of society? Steve Jobs may have an opinion on that question, but we'll leave that to another day.) I'm thinking that I had one many years ago, but this latest acquisition came only last week.

One of the by-products of my SB's habit is a tendency toward less-white teeth. This in spite of my commitment to otherwise pretty strong dental hygiene. Some where along the line, in a conversation in a forgotten location, someone suggested that a good electric tooth brush would help nominalize the coffee stains. When I had scoped out the devices earlier this year, I was put off by the price and had decided to wait. Well, as described here previously, I was in Kohl's last week with that 30% off coupon, and they had some electric tooth brushes already on sale, so I crossed the Rubicon.

The early results are very positive. I really like the way that the high-speed vibrating brush cleans right at the gum-line. In my semi-annual teeth cleaning at the dentist, that plaque build-up at the gum-line is always a topic of improvement areas. I can tell already that the new brush addresses that concern. I am curious if continuous use of the brush will not only keep my teeth cleaner, but will actually help whiten them as well.

(I have always felt that poor dental hygiene was a key element in Mother's decline. In her last year in the care facility in Ottumwa, she was not able to do proper brushing on her own, and her teeth quickly deteriorated. Once she got here and I had to fit her with a full set of dentures, she never got back to a solid-food diet, and that liquid stuff just didn't cut it. You can't say that the teeth thing was the only cause for her decline, but it was certainly in the top five.)

On the economics/financial side of this equation, I was a little surprised to find the brand-name Braun on the package under the primary name of Oral B. In my world, Braun is best known for electric shavers, and does most of it's advertising at Christmas and Father's Day. Turns out that both brands are owned by consumer powerhouse Proctor & Gamble. In a day where the right business combinations are important for survival, this one makes sense to me.

Still frosty-cool here.

Have a great day.

BCOT

No comments: