Saturday, October 10, 2009

Saturday

Hard frost here last night. And snow flurries out my window now (1100 CST). Hello Fall! Not sure that a night game in IC tonight will be all that comfortable.

Then again, the NL Divisional playoff game in Denver scheduled for today has been postponed because of cold and snow. They showed a pic of snow-covered Coors Field on the news. Not sure if the tarp was thought of as insurance for snow.

Another omen of the near future: I had to turn on my furnace for the first time this AM. (This after a new record-low utility bill of $33 for September!)

I covered my indoor plants that are still outside with blankets before I went to bed. And I think that I'll move those plants to the garage for the next couple of days. It should get a little warmer by mid-week. Sometime soon I'll have to decide if they all will be saved or if maybe my collection will go through a needed "freshening". I've reached the point where just because a plant can stay alive under my care is not necessarily justification for it staying around.

Finally went through my September VISA bill to match up my Italy expenditures with my clutch of credit card receipts. Not an easy exercise given the many transactions, but fortunately, no surprises. The conversion rates on direct purchases was certainly better than those on currency exchanges at the banks, but there was also the occasional "service fees" over and above the conversion amount. Everybody needs a little sugar.

4 is in town for the wedding of a high school classmate. She did the drive-all-night thing in the early hours of Friday after getting off from work after Thursday's newscasts. When I was that age, I did similar driving escapades, one in particular from Texas to Iowa, and back, on a regular weekend. Ouch! Now, over to Des Moines is a long day.

A bit of a revolt going on at our SB's. They brought in a new manager a few weeks back, and all of our favorite baristas are now either gone or have given notice. I'm really not sure why the staff has reacted so negatively to the new gal, but it was such from the first day. She's an outsider, and the staff may have thought one of their own should have been given the position. Whatever the case, the atmosphere in the store has taken a step to a direction of something less positive.

SB's corporate has been on a major effort over the last couple of years to find better traction in the market place. The latest is their instant coffee. Can't say that any of these ideas have made much difference in my opinion. If anything, the different strategies may create distractions that inhibit the employee group from keeping their eye on the ball.

More later.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martha said

So what is the address for Kristen's blog?