Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday

I, of course, know nothing. Generally. But in particular, about the aged clarinet.

Yesterday I sent my first note to 1 after the wedding, and needed to consult with Mom to confirm use of the new last name on the envelope. Co-incidentally, 1 sent out an email today to remind everyone that her school address in our email books needed to be changed since she had made the name change in the school's system.

I think that the reality of a daughter assuming the name of her new husband could be a Craig Wilson topic. His direct experience may be suspect, but that never has been much of an impediment to a columnist with the germ of an idea for a story. I don't know if he and his partner have kids, or if one member of a gay couple assumes the name of the other. But that's a whole different kettle of fish that I'll leave for another day.

Anyway. Back to 1 now being Mrs. 1.1. I really hadn't thought much about the point until I began writing her name on the envelope. It was a little strange. I actually thought more intuitively about it then than I did while walking her down the aisle last month. Wisdom suggests that daughters will always be their Dad's little girls. Wisdom is probably right.

On a distant, but related point, I think we always remember women by the last name that we originally knew them. Think cousins, nieces, sister-in-laws, etc. Sue Ryan? (If relatives were not close geographically in the growing-up years, then a married name will stick since the maiden name may never truly have been in common use.) Grade school and high school classmates are the same way. Actually, I need to go to the old yearbooks to remember any name from back then, first or last.

If this concept is taken out a little further on the philosophical curve, you can discuss the reality of a promoted military officer, particularly those 2nd Louie's, still being considered at the lower rank by his/her troops if he/she has remained with the same outfit. I suppose that the same reality exists in any workplace. A line guy becomes the foreman. A teacher becomes the principal. An agent becomes the manager of many agents.

4 is back through town tonight on her way to C-town for the weekend. It's Hawkeye Day at Wrigley Field tomorrow. The Iowa AD tosses out the first pitch. I wonder if Herky will lip-sync "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" for the seventh inning stretch? 4 will be going to that game, and then to the Iowa football game at Soldier Field on Saturday where they will meet Northern Illinois in a clash of mediocrity.

2 and I will venture in to C-town Sunday morning to join with 3 and 4 for a deferred Father's Day celebration on Sunday. The plan was originally to go to the Cub's game, but I think we have all concluded that we can save the $$$'s from the tickets and just hang out at the Wrigleyville establishments and watch the game on TV.

As an equal opportunity blog, good luck to the Clones on their big game(?) with Kent tonight. I don't think that it's Clark Kent. But I've been wrong before. (I actually played a game or two at Kent State in another lifetime. Before the National Guard arrived.)

BCOT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should check with great aunt sue about the clarinet if you haven't already. i know it greatly influenced the choice of instrument we played.
as far as the name change goes, i think it is more strange for the person changing her name. i just got my new license and credit card in the mail and have become more concious of using my new last name. it is 100% weird. a bunch of my students from last year were in school today giving tours to 9th graders and they stopped in to say hi. they all refuse to call me by the 'new name'. and it is even weird to pur mrs. before my name because it makes me sound old. i still refer to myself as ms. the worst part about the new name is that i was so good at signing the old one, and the new one has awkward letters next to each other, which makes signing strange. it is a work in progress.
as i mentioned, there were a lot of my former students in the building today, and it made me sad that they will no longer be my students. i wonder if that teacher ever felt that way about my friends and i. their current teachers have granted me permission to stop in and say hello to them all. the best part is that they all acknowledged that even though i made them do a lot of work, most days were pretty fun. they liked my class! i drove home with a smile on my face. it's the little things, people.

Anonymous said...

Horany

Anonymous said...

who knows my nickname?!