Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday - After Thanksgiving

Greetings.  Another spell of the doldrums on the blog.  My bad.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doldrums)


Thanksgiving was a hit with the visit from the Minnesota crew.  The weather kept us inside most of the time, but we managed to make it through the days in good shape.  Lots of football.  Plenty to eat.  A little wine.  The kids are in a time when they can occupy themselves without constant attention.  Auntie Soo did a fine job.  Here's the departure shot at 2nd Coffee this AM.  I'm thinking that stairs make a better location for the group-selfie than does the back of the truck.
I elected to update the Home Page pic with a shot of the main floor of Grand Central, one of my favorite views in the city.  This one was taken just a week ago on one of my passes through the station on my way from The Westin to 4C.  I might bring back the vineyard when the warmer weather returns and green seems a little more reflective of current times. 
 
2 and I were at the start-line for the Turkey Trot on Thursday morning, but I rationalized our way to the coffee shop rather than spend 75 minutes in a heavy rain.  It was a good choice.  Hats off to 1 and 1.1 for sucking up the 5-mile challenge.  Maybe next year for me.

My Black Friday shopping was per usual...none.  I did stop in to Lowe's this morning after 2nd Coffee to pick up a snow shovel for Maplecrest and a scraper for the truck.  My neighbors pretty much take care of my snow, as they did when I went to NYC last week, but my old shovel died last Winter and I needed something for that occasional need.  (I may even try to fire up the snow blower this afternoon as a precaution for the next storm.)

I know that retailers say that the brick-and-mortar stores aren't going away, but it sure seems to me like on-line activity is where the future lies.  Chilli's had a crowd for Friday lunch, but there was immediate seating just down the road at Buffalo Wildwings.  Not sure if that means much, but when I was out for work things on Friday morning, the traffic wasn't awful.  That said, the economic reports coming to the wires for Monday seem to be more positive than not.  Maybe the lower gas prices do matter.

Sounds like it was a successful holiday in The Big Apple.  He's a beauty.

When Thanksgiving falls so late in November, the next week is already December and the holiday season is in full swing.  December will be another vapor month with Christmas Eve only three weeks from this coming Thursday.  I think I'll be staying close to home until my scheduled departure back to NYC on the 23rd.  I have WAY too much to do here at work.  Scary.

I just tried to find the opening line on the Iowa-Michigan State game for next Saturday and wasn't able to find anything.  I think Iowa will be getting as many as 10 points due to the pervasive thought that their schedule just wasn't that tough.  I dunno.  Neutral site.  Iowa isn't exactly dangerous, but if Sparty thinks it'll be easy, they'll lose.

ND will get to play in the Blah-Blah Bowl, lamenting all the way how they lost their season by a total of 4 points.  Meh.  When it counted, they couldn't get'r done.  Not a lot of sympathy felt at this end.

We have had enough moisture in the last two weeks to prep the soil for a productive 2016.  After the big snow storm that Friday/Saturday a week ago, we had two or three days of steady rain.  My sump pump was at work at least two nights.  Really not sure if buying futures in the corn or bean pits is the bet right now.

OK.  I'll try to be a little more regular here this week.  It might be Bear and Toad time.

BCOT









No comments: