Monday, November 02, 2015

Monday

Hello Daylight Savings Time!  We may have some sun in the morning now, but come 5 PM, it be dark outside!  We now have that march to December 21st when the days will finally start lengthening.

As a small sidebar, I think I have all of my clocks switched to the new time except my new, $10 Walmart special.  On that one, I can't figure out which buttons to push to get it to 12-hour timing.  I now have it on the full 24-hour cycle.  And I threw away the instructions from the purchase...and I refuse to go on-line for help.  Maybe after a glass of wine or two I'll try again...or not.

It was a good weekend for the LtPC up in Woodbury.  I continue to use the Iowa City-Waterloo-Rochester route, with even a final leg on decidedly country-pavement up through Cannon Falls and Hastings.  While I tend to test the speed limit on the Interstate portion, I try to keep it within reason on the two-lanes.  With just a single pit-stop, it can be a trip of maybe 5 hours 15minutes.  Even with slower Friday evening traffic in Minnesota.  Not so bad.

The book on this trip was (is!) an odd, murder mystery.  I don't think I have read (listened to) this author previously.  I still have one full disc and part of another to finish.  There's the possibility that I may punt.  After eight discs and 10+ hours of listening, I'm still not sure if it has been a good investment of my time.

The timing of my visit obviously co-insided with Halloween and the Trick or Treating celebration.  Of all of the manufactured holidays(?), Halloween is my least favorite.  From the nonsense of the retailers, to the uncontrolled production of sugar-coated everything, to the too-old-to-be-doing-this teens, I'm just always glad to get to November 1st.  That said, we had a couple of keepers on Harvest Path.  Let's make them Granddaughter and Grandson of the Day!

There haven't been many Saturdays when all three of the football teams that I follow come away with good-feeling victories.  But the Hawks, 'Clones and Irish all made the grade last weekend.  Full disclosure...I had to read about ND and ISU on-line on Sunday morning.  How the heck does Iowa State beat up Texas?

And how does KC win a World Series?  All that money in New York and LA, and the Royals are the guys left standing?  Pretty impressive.  Further proof, money can't buy you happiness.  Find a good GM who can evaluate talent, and leave him alone.  (Listening Jerry Jones?)

Election Day tomorrow.

Yeah, my call on that GOP debate was exactly on point.  Not that I watched it at all.  But I did enjoy reading the trashing of the moderators.  In the aftermath, the candidates are now talking about trying to gain more control of the format, time allotments etc.  I don't agree with that angle.  Get grown-up, legitimate news people (oxymoron?) and roll the cameras.  Unfortunately, we're in a situation where you can't determine who are the inmates and who are the caretakers.  And don't think for a nanosecond that I limit that brush to the GOP easel.

Here's a shot of the kids from their family-pics session on Saturday.

Thanks for reading.  Have a great week.

BCOT


No comments: