Saturday, November 14, 2015

Saturday

So I am finally getting back here after an unanticipated hiatus.  No real explanation for my failure.  I simply haven't managed my time well the last couple of weeks.

First things first.  Our family has had the joy of welcoming a new member this week!  Hello 3.01!!!  You are Grandson of the Day!!  Congratulations to 3 and 3.1 for this bundle of joy.  It is truly a wonderful time for all of us.

3.01 will remain in the headlines here on the blog over the next several weeks as there will be a steady stream of visitors to The Big Apple to welcome him to the fam.  Grandma is there now, I head there next weekend, and the aunties are also on the schedule.

Anything I write further in this entry is really of insignificance.  3.01 is the only news that matters right now.  But, I will go on anyway as I need to get back on the horse.

There is an item of news that does come around on this date every year.  November 14th is the anniversary of 4000 Days.  This year marks, a bit unbelievably, 10 years(!) since the first entry to this tome.  I'm not sure what that means...other than that as a wannabe writer, I have been persistent, if not always creative.  By the math, I'm in the 90th percentile of reaching the destination.  But it was never about getting to a destination, really.  The fact that I still come here regularly (this recent hiatus accepted), is of note. 

I made it through Friday the 13th without incident...I think.

My week started off in The Windy City.  I had scheduled myself for a two-day continuing professional education (CPE) program at the Illinois CPA society in the West Loop.  (CPA's need 40 hours of CPE each year.)  My original plan was to meet my pal Lee (who lives in Wheaton) for dinner on Sunday evening, but I got a late start and had to reschedule him for Monday night.  I stayed at a hotel in another western suburb, Lombard, and then took the commuter train downtown both mornings.

The decision to stay in Lombard was mostly financial as the downtown hotels usually run in the $150 range per night, plus $30-40 per day for parking.  Then you have the traffic to get outta the city.  So with the dinner with Lee and a familiarity with the trains (from days of old), Lombard worked out just fine (and my total out of pocket costs weren't even half of a downtown scenario, all in).  Lee and I had a good meeting on Monday evening, Lombard train parking was $1.25 per day(!), and the train rides were all on time and not that crowded.  I'll likely follow the same protocol for future CPE sessions.

One C-town sidebar of note...I did wear the black Cowboy hat all of the time.  It was a big hit with counter people, doormen and numerous other strangers whom I encountered.  It has been a learning experience to have such a favorable response to the hat...throughout the globe.  I ask myself why I didn't go for it at an earlier time.

Big doin's in Iowa City today.  They have a wrestling meet scheduled this morning/early-afternoon with Oklahoma State...in Kinnick(!)...and then the undefeated football team takes on Minnesota at 7 PM this evening.  I think they sold 38K tickets for the wrestling meet, which is huge, but the football game may not even be a sellout.  Go figure.

My pal Pete managed to have a minor accident at his home last weekend while cleaning gutters. There was a ladder involved.  The result was/is a boot on his right foot.  Even more data to support my position that tasks that can be hired-done need to be hired-done.  (I then found out late in the week that a client of my proximate age also fell off a ladder at his home...doing similar chores...had to do 9-1-1...broken humerus in his arm...immobilized for weeks.  Yeah, maybe we have Rule # 4: Call a handyman.)

All for now.  I have leaves to rake.   I think I may be qualified to do that.  Looks like it will be a good afternoon to do it.  The wind that has been howling here all week has subsided, mostly.  Mid-November.  Vapor year.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT



No comments: