Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Tuesday

I guess we see tonight if there is any life left in Wrigleyville.  If the Cubs can't win this one, they be toast.  Teams don't come back from 0-3 holes.

I'm not sure why it didn't hit me in recent days, but if you leave home much before 0700 these mornings, you're doing so in the dark.  Since Daylight Savings Time is still 10 days away, the mornings will continue to cast gloom on the commute.  Yuck.  Shorter and shorter hours of daylight.  That's the one thing that really depresses me about Fall and Winter, much more so than the cold.

My inside plants that I put on the rear deck in the Summer had some upper branches tinged with frost over the weekend.  I had made the effort to cover them with sheets on Friday evening...successfully, I think for that night...and then again Saturday afternoon before I took off for IC.  But when I got back to Maplecrest Sunday afternoon (having stopped for golf in Muskie on the way back from IC), there was definitely some frost damage from the prior evening.  I think the wind must have blown the sheets off the top-most branches.  Meh.  That just means those two ficus trees will fit inside another year.

Another little unexpected outcome of the IC trip was that I managed to find several miles of gravel road when I meandered my way to Muscatine on Sunday morning.  I had a very good general idea of using the back roads to get there, but I had no co-pilot and didn't bother to pull up Google Maps on my own.  After making good progress East for 10-15 miles, I chose a South-bound county road at what I judged to be about the half-way point...which worked okay for 2-3 miles...when the pavement then ended.  Shel Silverstein, you shoulda warned me.

It was only 5-6 miles of gravel before I hit the East-bound paved road that I knew was there, but the Buick was totally dusted-over and required a good washing once I got back home.  Our cars on the farm were always covered in dust.  And that dust gets into every crack and cranny.  Welcome to true country livin'.

SquawkBox had a segment the other morning about the watch-maker Tag Heuer essentially poor-mouthing the new Apple Watch as not really a competitor.  And I guess they really don't go at the same market...except that they both price themselves away from the folks who actually buy watches to get the time. 

I comment here as I did upgrade my own wrist watch after BarBor2015 since my primary one lost the catch-buckle-thingy on our trip, and the face on the back-up was scratched on that visit to the deck on my last ride in Bordeaux.  My new primary watch had a base cost of $10.99...a little less than those discussed in the SquawkBox segment...but $2 more than I had paid for the scratched back-up.  I mean, I ain't gettin' a Social Security increase in 2016.

Did I mention here that I am now up to three official LtPC Rules?

1. If you ride, you will fall.
2. Always have a back-up.
3. Don't look back.

I have a couple of other sayings that may make it to the list, but I'm in no hurry.

All for now.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT


No comments: