Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sunday

We've got a classic Fall Sunday in the Quads today...sunny, mid '70's.  Really nice.

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus, but this cold has been a bummer the last couple of days.  I haven't been this sick since that bout with pneumonia 2-3 years ago.  It was bad enough that Cal thought some meds were in order, so he called in a Z-Pac  for me yesterday.  Unfortunately, my Walgreen's store was closed last night, so I didn't get the antibiotics until today.  But I slept better last night even without the medication, so I'm hopeful that I'm now on the mend to normalcy.

I'm kinda impressed with the Walgreen's pharmacy set-up.  Once they have you in the system, you get an automated call when your prescription is ready for pick-up.  They even have a procedure to automatically refill a script after passage of the time to use regular meds has come to an end.  And today, the gal asked if I wanted a no-charge flu shot while I was there. (She had noticed that the shot was fully covered by my insurance.)  I know all of this is simple data processing/management, but still, it takes someone to implement the program...and staff attentive enough to get 'r done.  Good for them.

Big win for the Hawks yesterday in IC.  I'm still not convinced that they're a Top Twenty team, but wins are wins.  Next week at Northwestern, they'll be put to the test, especially after the Wildcats got pasted yesterday at The Big House.  (Does anybody outside of Ann Arbor cheer for Harbaugh?  What a tool!)

We're back into pink in the NFL to support Breast Cancel Awareness month.  A little pink goes a long ways fellas.  Enough is enough.

The golfers were in South Korea this week for a competition called The President's Cup, a series of matches between USA players and an International team from non-European countries (South Africa, New Zealand, Korea, India, Australia, etc.).  It's a tournament designed in the early '90's to give those non-European players a chance to play in a Ryder Cup-like challenge in the off-years of the more-established Ryder Cup (which is played every-other year).

I found it hard to get very excited about the matches, even thought it was a very good tournament with top players.  I mean really, how many weeks can these guys keep the edge up?  Most of them just got done playing a series of four tournaments in the US that culminated just a couple weeks ago...after all of those other "big" tournaments throughout the Spring and Summer.  It becomes almost like that string of country music awards shows.  Plus, with the time difference, they were teeing off live at 8 or 9 PM for us in the Central time zone.  After two holes, it was at my bedtime!


The Jack Nicklaus-designed course is near Seoul, on some reclaimed land on the oceanfront.  I was surprised at the big sky-scrapers on the horizon.  My year in Korea was further down-country toward the South, but I don't remember the big buildings from the couple of times I was in Seoul.  Then again, we're talking my being there is now over 40 years ago.

The Augustana men are ranked #1 in the D-III pre-season b-ball poll.  They have like their top ten guys back from the team that lost in the national final game last Spring.  The coach was unable to persuade any D-I program to give them a pre-season game this year.  You can't blame the D-I coaches after Augie gave Iowa all they wanted  two years ago at Carver-Hawkeye, and then beat Bradley in Peoria last year.  Most coaches may not be mensa candidates, but risking a loss against a D-III team has no upside.  The standard response this year has been, "Maybe next season" (when all your good players have graduated!).

My effort to get into training for the Turkey Trot has been put on hold due to this cold.  When the body aches as bad as mine has the last few days, its hard to answer the bell.  I hope to get out at least a couple of times this week.  Thanksgiving will be here in a heartbeat.

All for today.  Hope it is a good week in your world.

BCOT

No comments: